DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech-120/)
-   -   Design Pet Peeves (everybody's got them) (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/199310-design-pet-peeves-everybodys-got-them.html)

jcrhea 05-03-2009 08:05 PM

Holy Crap.. :eek: I had no idea the wheels were plastic. I just went outside and checked after reading this and my jaw hit the garage floor. I figured for sure a $48K Laramie didn't have plastic wheels and you guys were talking about some other trim level..

I had no pet peeves until I found this out.. NOW I DO!

Makes me wonder what the hell else I am going to find that looks better than it actually is.. :mad:

CarGuyOhio 05-03-2009 08:17 PM

One the topic of the wheels.... For those that did not notice, obviously they looked good enough for you to buy it. Now that you know they are plastic (you really should have inspected the truck) you do not like them?? The wheels are aluminum underneath. No, you can not take the cover off and polish/paint. Been tried with 3rd gens and it was a mess.

Brummo 05-03-2009 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by jcrhea (Post 1654000)
Holy Crap.. :eek: I had no idea the wheels were plastic. I just went outside and checked after reading this and my jaw hit the garage floor. I figured for sure a $48K Laramie didn't have plastic wheels and you guys were talking about some other trim level..

I had no pet peeves until I found this out.. NOW I DO!

Makes me wonder what the hell else I am going to find that looks better than it actually is.. :mad:

I was pissed too, but am over it now. Lots of older trucks still have nice looking clad after several years...and...no rusting.

tombogue09 05-03-2009 10:59 PM

I knew they were plastic the first time I saw the truck on the lot. Not because they look like plastic but because I knew that wheels that shinny on a truck had to be plastic since most are now.

I wouldn't have it any other way. My dad has a 2004 ram with plastichromes and they have the same shine they had when it was new. He had a ram with alloys that certainly didn't look new.

72combo 05-04-2009 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Bill (Post 1653955)
Like most of you, I have several things that irritate me. The OAT gauge delay just pisses me off. You never know if you can believe or not, "has it reset yet?".
The truck is larger and taller than it needs to be. The 3Gen size was big enough. If I could change one thing....where in the hell is the fold out floor in the CC? The QC has it and I miss it badly in my CC. It would have made the cab much more usable.

no foldout in the CC cuz there are storage bins in the floor which would be rendered useless.you really don't need em just fold the seats up

72combo 05-04-2009 12:47 AM

Chrysler is not the only one using plastic....I discussed this with a friend who works in some plastic firm in Michigan and he said that it was for weight and also compared to steel they will last longer with less care....no rust and easily repaired if damaged.

mheath 05-04-2009 01:14 AM

I wish the dash lights would go dimmer at night, better yet, let me shut them off!

Also, since the speedometer is off center, the needle looks like you are going faster or slower depending on which way you lean you head. I hate that!

Bboyg 05-04-2009 01:37 AM

On my 05 I was shocked to find out that the rims were plastic. I grew to love them though. Easy to take care of, no rust, and kept the shine like they were new. I have no problem that my '09 Laramie has them too.

Dr. Bill 05-04-2009 09:37 AM

72 Combo
The fold out floor works fine with the storage compartments under the seats. The floor when folded lifts up just like the seats do. If the floor was flat like the Ford, you could get away without having them, but there are many times that a flat floor is nice. Like I said in my earlier post, I really miss the fold out floor, especially the steel one like I had in my 02 QC.

HemiRAMV8 05-04-2009 09:45 AM

I agree that the plastic wheel covers are something you have to just get over. This is my third Chrysler with them, and the other two have been just fine. No pitting, easy to polish.

Plastic is here to stay, love it or loathe it. The faux woodgrain in my wife's Aspen looks terrible though, because it is a) orange(!) and b) moulded in such a shape that it couldn't possibly be real wood. The color and the shape of the "wood" in the Laramie though is much better.

I got out of a Jag XK into the truck, and that had genuine chromed wheels, Connolly leather and real burr walnut. All of which looked like crap after 13 years and 118k miles. Oh, and it didn't have a HEMI :)