4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is it really a 32 Gallon Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:11 AM
jaflowers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mopowar
Mine does the same thing with the 26 gallon tank. I have run it down to the warning light twice, and both times it would only take ~20 gallons.
I have the 26 also. Most I've ever got into it was 23.5 gallons and the EVIC was showing only about 10 miles left and the neddle was really on "E". Has to be a few gallons reserve built in.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Brummo
Captain

Well, it's a cheaper fill the less you have to put in right? LOL

Old 05-19-2009, 10:36 AM
navyr6
Professional

My 02 Silverado would have the low fuel light come on with about 3 gallons left, and it had a 26 gallon tank. I guess I just don't understand why we need a 6 gallon reserve on a 32 gallon tank.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Hop
Professional

They do this to help cool the fuel pump. If you run it dry it's hard on the pump. It will be on E and still have 2 gallons left. That held true on my '97.
--Hop

Old 05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Shumdit
Professional

Originally Posted by Hop
They do this to help cool the fuel pump. If you run it dry it's hard on the pump. It will be on E and still have 2 gallons left. That held true on my '97.
--Hop
I thought this applied to diesels (the recirculating of the fuel to act as coolant)?

Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Soop
Professional

I was told once, to never let your tank run empty. It can cause all kinds of problems with junk that settles at the very bottom. I never let my tank get below 1/4 mark.

Never know when you need to make an emergency run when the brew runs out!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Shumdit
Professional

Originally Posted by Soop
I was told once, to never let your tank run empty. It can cause all kinds of problems with junk that settles at the very bottom. I never let my tank get below 1/4 mark.

Never know when you need to make an emergency run when the brew runs out!!!
You know I have heard that a 1000 times, but the problem I have with that reasoning is this:
The fuel pickup is at the bottom on the tank, so it's always picking up whatever has settled to the bottom. I had someone say "when you run low on fuel you pickup up the water that has collected in the tank over time". My response is that gasoline is lighter than water (as is crude oil) so the water settles to the bottom anyway. I totally disagree with that "wives tale", but welcome any points I may be overlooking. I am not saying you are wrong since you are just repeating what you have been told. I just can't find the logic in it. I am no fuel systems engineer, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night..

Old 05-21-2009, 07:58 AM
BubbaRadioNetwork
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shumdit
I totally disagree with that "wives tale", but welcome any points I may be overlooking. I am not saying you are wrong since you are just repeating what you have been told. I just can't find the logic in it. I am no fuel systems engineer, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night..
Maybe the "Mythbusters" crew should check into this!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Soop
Professional

I always felt the same way...as I felt it did not make sense...like you said, the fuel line is at the bottom. I know when I dropped a tank on a 1982 CJ 7, years ago, the opening to the fuel line stick out in the tank a little bit! And it did have some junk in the bottom!!!

I guess that is why they have filters!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Dr. Bill
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a chance to test the original topic of this thread. My EVIC showed that I had a range of 73 miles left. I was averaging on the computer 17.8 mpg. That meant that I should have about 4 gals left in the tank. I expected to add 28 gallons to the tank and it held 27.1. That makes it pretty accurate to giving you about a gallon reserve.

Quick Reply: Is it really a 32 Gallon Tank?