4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transferring music to the HDD

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:03 AM
cheatdt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transferring music to the HDD

We have the RER radio and I was going to transfer music to it from my flash drive. It doesn't recognize it. So, when I get the laptop connected to the truck, do I make sure that the folder where the music is opened up on the laptop?? Or what???

Old 05-24-2009, 11:05 AM
jcrhea

I had some of the same issues. I found this the easiest for copying music -

1. Don't have *any* other files on the USB stick other than music files (MP3s) - it will work with other files, but will take a LONG time to bring up the initial list.
2. I created folders with songs for each of the playlists I wanted - for example when I put the stick in my computer, I created 4 folders - pre80s, 80s, 90s, 2Ks. I then copied my collection into those.
3. when I get new songs that I want to add to my existing collection, I copy them into the folders on my computer, copy the entire folder to my usb stick, then put it in my truck. I *delete* the playlist from the truck's hard drive that I am adding new songs to, and I copy the whole folder from USB again creating the same playlist over.

That step three is stupid to have to do, but I have not found a way to add songs to an existing playlist on the mygig.

Also, I edited the "tag" on the song to have a Title of "Song name - artist" and the artist name also in the "Artist" section of the tag. since you can't change the mygig display to display both song title and artist, this was my way around, without affecting my ability to search for songs based on title or artist. I have about 1100 songs, and many have the same or very similar titles, so it is nice to see the title and artist in my opinion.

Also, one last thing - I have had best results using ID3v2.3 and below for the tag format.

Hope these tips help.

John

Old 05-24-2009, 11:12 AM
cheatdt
Rookie

They have to be MP3s? There isn't anything on the flash drive but the music. Well, I take that back. It's a ScanDisk brand of flash drive. They come loaded with their software, etc. Perhaps that is the problem??

I am not sure what you mean by the ID3v2.3. I am unfamiliar with that

Old 05-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Chaosrawn
Professional

They do have to be mp3 and not mp4. Not sure if it will take or play .wav files or not.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:06 PM
seigell
Veteran

Some of the Dodge Forum folks from the Avenger forum - especially "futil" - have setup a Great website with almost everything known about the MyGig.
Unofficial MyGig Information Site
(It's really helped me understand what the MyGig can and can't do...)

Old 05-24-2009, 12:19 PM
tombogue09
Captain

Thats odd. I also have a sandisk memory stick with all kinds of files and programs loaded on it and it worked perfectly wth mygig. I loaded music and pictures with no problems, took a few minutes.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:34 PM
cheatdt
Rookie

hmmm perhaps it is because when I ripped them to my laptop, they saved as wma files. But you would think that since the truck can 'play' wma files that you would be able to transfer them in that extension.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:35 PM
cheatdt
Rookie

Originally Posted by tombogue09
Thats odd. I also have a sandisk memory stick with all kinds of files and programs loaded on it and it worked perfectly wth mygig. I loaded music and pictures with no problems, took a few minutes.
what type of file was the music that you transferred?? MP3 or wma?

Old 05-24-2009, 03:01 PM
tombogue09
Captain

My files were mp3 but wma should work.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:12 PM
budlyte
Rookie

Agreed that wmas should work. According to the mygig site linked earlier, if you copy tracks from a CD to the HDD, it saves them in wma format as well.

Quick Reply: Transferring music to the HDD