DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech-120/)
-   -   Wheel Shake 4th Gen Ram (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/202213-wheel-shake-4th-gen-ram.html)

John 09 05-28-2009 09:19 AM

Wheel Shake 4th Gen Ram

Hey folks,

Well, it's my first post here and I wish I would have found this forum earlier. I had an 06 QC with 20's that was almost payed off. My intent was to run the truck for 100k and have a payment free life. It's not a work truck, it was my primary vehicle and used as a commuter. At about 30 k I started to get a nasty wheel shake when the truck went over 60 mph and the wheel shake also was there during some of the braking cycle. I took it to the dealer, they suggested new tires, new front brakes and rotors. I'm kind of a do it your selfer on the brakes and rotor's because it's so easy and I usually go for tire rack for wheels, but I said what the heck the trucks almost done. So $1500 dollars later, I have the same problem. The dealer then sent me for the road force test, blah, blah, blah. Thanks to this forum, I see there was a recall on my front hubs (most likely..didn't do a VIN search), but this was never mentioned.

So I'm kind of agonizing over this thinking my kids are in the truck and it just doesn't feel safe, etc. I look hard at the 09's and the deals are pretty good. So I decided to buy a new 09 Crew, 4x4 with the 20's. It now has 300 miles on it. Twice I have felt the wheel shake at highway speeds, the first time I changed lanes and it went away so I assumed it was the road. Last night on the way home from work it happened again but on a different stretch of road.

I'm not sure what to do, but I'm starting to feel like there is a design flaw or supplier issue that's causing this problem. BTW, both the 06 and the 09 are 100% stock. Anyone else experience this issue? Any suggestions. At first I assumed it's poor tire manufacturing on the 20's, but I've now experienced this three sets of the stock goodyear's (two on the 06's and the ones on the brand new truck). On the 09, I have no shake during braking which is different than what I experienced on the 06 at about 30k, but the shake at highway speeds seems 100% identical to the 2006.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

John

oldjeep 05-28-2009 09:22 AM

Take it in to the dealer and have them check it out. Could be bad alignment or a tire that is out of balance.

CarGuyOhio 05-28-2009 09:23 AM

There was a recall on the front hubs in 2006, make sure this was performed, will need to have your local dealer run the VIN.

My 09 runs and rides VERY smooth.

John 09 05-28-2009 09:39 AM

Thanks guys, I'm betting on the tires. The 06 is was traded for the 09, but since it's on their used lot, I'm going to bring the missed recall to their attention.

72combo 05-28-2009 10:26 AM

i bet a wheel weight fell off

Brummo 05-28-2009 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 72combo (Post 1682135)
i bet a wheel weight fell off

I was thinking that too. Some don't stick real well.

depunz 05-28-2009 11:11 AM

Wheel shake.

I got my '09 in February, ran smooth as can be. I got new wheels after about 700 miles. Still smooth. I began noticing a little shake about a month ago. I took the truck to the dealer week or 2 later for my right rear window going up real slow and sticking every oncwe in a while. Also did the 3000 mile service. Noticed the shake got worse. Took it to get tires rotated and balanced. Helped a little but still notice it, just not as bad. It's going back to the dealer to put new trim on the back window. I might mention it then. Doesn't fell unsafe, just annoying. Sorry I couldn't give you a fix, but I have noticed it too. By the way I have the 17's with the Goodyear SR-A's.

CarGuyOhio 05-28-2009 11:13 AM

You are going to have a tough fight on your hands with the aftermarket stuff. I would recommend putting on your stockers if you have them before you take it in. This way if the shake is still there they will not point at the aftermarket stuff. It will save you time.

Question, did you remove the "lock washer" that is on the lugs? Some aftermarket wheels will not allow for these and will throw the whole thing a little out of wack. Another thought is re-check the torque of the lugs, sometimes they can work loose.

oldjeep 05-28-2009 12:01 PM

If it's a balancing issue, I recommend ditching the wheel weights and use dynabeads. 8oz per tire are enough to balance the 35" mud tires on my jeep, which jus amazed me.

depunz 05-28-2009 12:19 PM

Good point

That's a good point. I'm not going to switch tires again. I'm going to wait 'til I get new tires and see if it gets better.

Originally Posted by 94rt10ohio (Post 1682195)
You are going to have a tough fight on your hands with the aftermarket stuff. I would recommend putting on your stockers if you have them before you take it in. This way if the shake is still there they will not point at the aftermarket stuff. It will save you time.