4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Problems – Hard downshift (Cluck)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 12:59 PM
RichardR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problems – Hard downshift (Cluck)

Anybody have any issues with there transmission downshifting hard from 2nd to first?

Just started doing with 8000km on it. This sucks after reading about dodge transmission problems and here in Canada it’s only a 5 year/ 100k warranty. This sucks!

It still intermittent…. But it seems to only do it after driving it for some time.

09 HEMI with 5 speed auto.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:54 PM
jimf5
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RichardR
I have had a 1999, 2007, and now a 2009. All three had an intermitint hard downshift problem. I live out west, California and now Nevada, and the trans had the problem only in the summer time when it got hot. I just got back from an errand and it down shifted hard as I was comming to my driveway. It was 10:30 and the temp was 102.

It only seems to occur only when it's hot or driven hard.

jimf5

Old 06-29-2009, 02:55 PM
uashemi
Professional

I've been noticing harding shifting up and down. Also, when shifting into reverse it's like it half engages and then fully. Gonna take it to the dealer, but not the one in town, they suck!

Old 06-29-2009, 05:13 PM
RichardR

ya... Kinda figure it might be temperature related. It been a little warm the last few days.

Last edited by RichardR; 06-29-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Rolling98Durango
Professional

try getting a tranny cooler installed and let us know how that works

Old 06-30-2009, 01:37 AM
72combo
Champion

See how hot you are on the EVIC when it does it. You can get you exact tranny temp there.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:38 AM
72combo
Champion

Originally Posted by Rolling98Durango
try getting a tranny cooler installed and let us know how that works
If it came with trailer towing kit..should have a cooler already no? Edit here: I just looked over my window sticker shows heavy duty engine cooling, trailer hitch, trailer 7 pin wiring.....but I don't see a tranny cooler, my Durango had trans cooler, eng oil cooler, even this little power steering cooler...was all part of trailer towing package....guess they cheaped out how much is a trans cooler? I am gonna see if I already have one. Will try to remember to come back here.

Last edited by 72combo; 06-30-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:39 PM
RichardR

It did come with the trailer towing kit, I'm not sure what function this services, but there's a small RAD in front of the big RAD. (Trans cooler?)

BTW, now that it has cooled off here in Toronto, the problem seems to have gone away.... I'll be keeping my display on the trans temp from now on, but I did look at it before... and it was well below the middle of the temperature range. I'll wait till my oil change before complaining to the dealer.

But I did have an Audi that did something the same... ended up having to replace the transmission computer.

And this only happens on downshifts, 2nd to 1st. Otherwise it's smooth on all other shifts. Now that RAM Hybrid with the GM/Mercedes/BMW developed transmission is now starting to look better and better. An since I’m in the city and getting killed on the stop and go traffic (gas mileage) it might be an options if dodge don’t make it too costly to switch.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Thatmarkguy
Veteran

Mine happened to me in a 5th to 4th downshift at cruising speed about a half dozen times on a 500 mile round trip and at none of the times that this happened was I towing. It's happened a couple of times in town, but only on down shifts. Mine feels like a clunk, (but does not make a cluck noise, hahaha! )

Old 07-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Rolling98Durango
Professional

Originally Posted by RichardR
It did come with the trailer towing kit, I'm not sure what function this services, but there's a small RAD in front of the big RAD. (Trans cooler?)

BTW, now that it has cooled off here in Toronto, the problem seems to have gone away.... I'll be keeping my display on the trans temp from now on, but I did look at it before... and it was well below the middle of the temperature range. I'll wait till my oil change before complaining to the dealer.

But I did have an Audi that did something the same... ended up having to replace the transmission computer.

And this only happens on downshifts, 2nd to 1st. Otherwise it's smooth on all other shifts. Now that RAM Hybrid with the GM/Mercedes/BMW developed transmission is now starting to look better and better. An since I’m in the city and getting killed on the stop and go traffic (gas mileage) it might be an options if dodge don’t make it too costly to switch.
That small RAD in front of the main one for the truck is acctually the part of the A/C system.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problems – Hard downshift (Cluck)