4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram vs Mustang GT...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM
TooFast007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a cherry 94 Mustang GT 5.0 with only 42K miles, 5 speed Tremec and a 09 Ram QC TRX 5.7 hemi. My Mustang 5.0 is faster than the 96 - 04 GTs with the doggy 4.6, in 05 Ford got lots more power outa the 4.6 though.

In comparison my 94 GT gets outa the hole quicker (less weight) and up thru second gear pulls a little better than the TRX but then it's all over - the hemi pulls stronger 50 -100 mph the the 5.0 GT. There seems to be a bit of a gap in the 1 -2 gears ratios in the TRX that hurts it a bit. This has been noted in the heavy pulls in the 1/2 ton truck shootouts also.

I used to be a big time dodge hater, swore I'd never own another but gave the all new 09 Ram half ton a shot when Toyota lowered the labor day rebates on the Tundra. I've been very happy with my Hemi especially the gas mileage/power combination. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:33 PM
v8440
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read the whole thread, as it started to look like a whole bunch of theory being thrown around, vs reality. I can say for certain that I wore out a previous generation gt mustang (2004 or earlier body style) in my stock '09. Yes, there is a 100% chance he was racing, and he lost rather badly. From what I read, I probably would not have beaten an '05 or later gt. He also had large "urban wheels" on his car, which certainly did not help him. It probably does not account for the Reginald Denny-style beating he received, but it accounts for part of it I'm sure.

That generation of mustang gt, stock, is not all that fast.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 PM
lb79theone
Record Breaker
Location: Maine! ( GET A HOLD OF ME IF YOU WANT TO GET ME ON FACEBOOK.COM, AND CARDOMAIN.COM)

Ok, it sounds like a dis but it is a great story beacuse he can say there was a truck not even a sport, or street truck, beat a Mustang GT! Thats sick!

Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 PM
War Horse
All Star

Awesome job dude. It was even better that your wife was in there for the thrashing. After all, it's impressing her the best part of it?

Old 08-05-2009, 04:09 PM
crod
All Star

Originally Posted by War Horse
Awesome job dude. It was even better that your wife was in there for the thrashing. After all, it's impressing her the best part of it?

i thought impressing the mustang guys girlfriend was what its all about........

Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 PM
RamPhreak
Professional

Originally Posted by rolltidehemi
Not to rain on your quote (JK) but, I thumped an SRT4 gettin on i75 2 days ago, and yes he was all out, talked to him at the off ramp. on Pines Blvd. your SRT 4 isn't that fast sorrrrry. Also this was a stock srt4, no mods, it was from a stop light with two lanes to one had at least 40 -50 ' on him before the merge warning, early AM no one else on the road. I also support track racing, sometimes can't help it.
HAHHAHA....Ill let the locals know about your fast truck. Like I said in a previous post...I have not yet really had a chance to run my truck LEGITIMATELY.....so maybe I really am under estimating it (but really doubt it). I thought I cleared the confusion with the magazine test reports...but maybe they are not telling the truth????

And as far as MY srt-4....it was hella fast but not stock.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:08 AM
1954Radio
Captain
Thumbs up

Hi everyone, it's been a while since my last visit but love these stories and that race, which I believe it was. Maybe not a full quarter, but the Stang lost in my book, he deserved it too, CONGRATS! , lol. I'm not knocking Ford (I love the Stang, esp the 2010), but we (brothers) also have a GT (yellow convertible), you can see it in my pics, and I smoke it all the way through the quarter from start to finish. That being said, neither the Stang or my truck have been tuned in any way, they are both still factory tuned. My truck shuts off at 110 mph, and I'm sure most all 09's do as well. So I would loose to anyone from a high speed roll who has reflashed their speed and rev limits. And even when a tuner does become available, I doubt I'd ever see my truck going passed that 110 mark in the quarter which would be very satisfying for me anyway. And to all of you non believers out there, our 09 Hemi trucks are very capable of hitting the 13 sec brackets, especially us shortbed guys with 392's and lower gears. If you don't believe me, ask the Bounty Hunter (I think that's his name), I saw some wicked times with his B&G reflashed 09 Hemi truck. I think the 09 Hemi Ram is the fastest non aspirated truck out there. I look for Titans every chance I get, and when I find one you guys will be the first to know about the outcome, (hopefully he won't be reflashed yet) lol.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:26 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even my big old 3/4 ton hemi with the 345 H/P and 6sp can show a lot of cars and trucks it hauls ***, not from a standing start, but once I get threw the gears, my truck really push's the faster models to go faster.

The only way to really tell who's faster, or what make is faster is the track, thiers a lot variables on the street, trafic, reaction time, cool air at night, hor during mid day, ect ect.

300 H/P in a mustang GT is respectable for car its size, 390 for the Ram is also respecatble, I have no doubt a Ram will show a mustang driver that a Ram is fast.

High h/p in a brick, is never going to beat lower H/P in a ballon

Old 08-09-2009, 10:58 AM
v8440
Professional

Bounty hunter ran a magic tune nobody else can get, flashed by someone he won't name, using timing equipment that does not print results. Come to your own conclusions.

Edit: He may have finally posted who supposedly did his tune, and it may even be true. Regardless, a properly equipped stone stock rcsb hemi 2wd should be capable of barely cracking the 13's at a low altitude track on a good day with a good driver. I missed it by .008 seconds when I ran a 14.007 one day before it got too hot.

Last edited by v8440; 08-09-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:03 AM
v8440
Professional

Originally Posted by cyclone429
High h/p in a brick, is never going to beat lower H/P in a ballon
It depends on the brick and the hp. Ask Nick Scavo about high power in a brick. Hell, my '98 dually with a race weight of 7200 lbs has waxed several mustang gt's in both ET and mph. It doesn't get much more bricky than a dually.

Quick Reply: Ram vs Mustang GT...