DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech-120/)
-   -   High Oil Usage? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/211317-high-oil-usage.html)

ScottyB 08-19-2009 04:17 PM

High Oil Usage?

I have a new Ram 1500 SLT w/ 5.7 Hemi. This is the first Hemi I've owned and for that matter the first Dodge.

I love the truck but for a vehicle with less than 18,000 miles is seems to use an awful lot of oil. I have had the oil changed every 6,000 miles per the manual. In between oil changes this thing seems to drink oil. Before my first oil change at 6,000 mile I had to add one quart... no big deal. Before the 12,000 mile oil change I had to add 2-1/2 quarts. Before the 18,000 mile oil change I had to add another 2 quarts. This seems wrong for a new vehicle to me. But then again I wouldn't know I've never owned a new vehicle before. All I know is none of the other heaps I've ever drove used this much oil. My '98 Buick P.A. w/ 260,000 miles doesn't use this much oil.

There are no visible signs of leak anywhere I can see. It does seem to get suety (SP?) around the tailpipes pretty quickly when I polish them.

Do I have major problems or do Hemi's just use a lot of oil?

Thanks

mike2810 08-19-2009 04:39 PM

Not sure but I would talk it over with a mechanic. My 96 Ram started to use oil because of a blown maniford gasket. No leaks or sign of usage other than on the dip stick showing I had to add oil.

09 Ram TRX 4 Lover 08-19-2009 08:06 PM

ya you might want that checked out. Mine stays at the full mark. I check it before I change the oil and it is always at the full mark. I check it at different times as well.

Dr. Bill 08-19-2009 11:18 PM

This is my third ram, 5.9, 4.7, 5.7 Hemi. None have ever used any oil. I always check the stick before I change at 5000 miles and it is always at the full mark. I have 16,000 miles on my 09 at this time.

I think if it were my truck, I would be concerned. Talk to the dealer and post us about how they address this issue.

tombogue09 08-19-2009 11:28 PM

My dad had a 4.7 that went through a quart of oil for every tank of fuel. Had about 80000 miles. I see lots of older and fairly new chrysler vehicles with blue smoke a rollin:icon_wink:

72combo 08-20-2009 12:07 AM

Some cars use oil an some don't but that is excessive for a new car. My daughters old ford mystique would go 5000 miles not a drop of oil. Yours I would be sure to get into that issue.

jhedger 08-20-2009 12:12 AM

yeah, take that baby in!

ScottyB 08-21-2009 11:59 AM

I've taken the truck in to the dealer. Both mechanics there agree that the oil use is high but the rest of their response was "if we don't see a leak then there's really nothing we can do."

I don't know what to tell them. I know something is wrong, they admit something is wrong but without finding the source of the problem what do you do? They say until something malfunctions there's nothing they can tell me. I'm afraid, given the amount I drive, I will have driven the warranty off by then. I generally do about 50,000 mile a year and I just turned over to 19,000 this morning.

Am I just screwed?

j-rod82 08-21-2009 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyB (Post 1777431)
I've taken the truck in to the dealer. Both mechanics there agree that the oil use is high but the rest of their response was "if we don't see a leak then there's really nothing we can do."

I don't know what to tell them. I know something is wrong, they admit something is wrong but without finding the source of the problem what do you do? They say until something malfunctions there's nothing they can tell me. I'm afraid, given the amount I drive, I will have driven the warranty off by then. I generally do about 50,000 mile a year and I just turned over to 19,000 this morning.

Am I just screwed?

How about trying a different dealers service department? Or is this one dealer the only one near by?

wmichell227 08-21-2009 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyB (Post 1777431)

Am I just screwed?

I would talk to the general manager of the dealership directly. If he tells you he can't do anything at this time, get him to document the complaint, then go over his head.

Either that or you can go out on the freeway in 1st gear, get the engine rpm's up so high that it forces any loose part to break, then bring your broken truck and have them fix it.

Obviously, the second option is a bad idea, but I'd ask the GM if that's what he wants you to do.....