4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing in Germany

Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM
orangeram09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing in Germany

I got an '09 Ram and will need to start towing soon. I am in Germany currently and they have different wire harnesses for trailer towing here. Me and a friend are probably gonna fabricate our own conversion harness, but was wondering if anybody had already done something similiar in the past or had any ideas. I dont really wanna pay like 200 Euro for a special install from the dealer here. thx in advance.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of harness do they use in Germany?

13 pin?
http://www.rightconnections.co.uk/vi...php?page_id=30

Last edited by oldjeep; 05-10-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Strada

I´m German and many old trailers have a 7 Pin system, but the most new trailers (especially campers or Horse trailers) are working with the 13 pin system.
If i were you, i would buy a universial trailer harness (cost 40 euro on ebay) and install it by your self, it´s easy when you have a wiring diagram from your Dodge, that you know, wich color is the turn signal, backup light ....
That´s what i have done on a US spec Jeep grand cherokee.
feel free to ask, if you have any questions

Old 05-11-2010, 03:32 PM
orangeram09

thx Strada, i would be towig 7-pin system. i got the wire diagram already for the truck. i need a diagram for the trailer now. but unfortuntely i cant speak or read german so its hard to find the trailer diagram. if you can help me with the diagram that would be a big help. thats all the easy part i guess, but my concern is the hazards are set up differently from US to German. the German hazards are seperate circuit and i cant figure out a way around this. wht did u do? did that harness solve this? the dealership said they had a way but its like 200 Euro. i wl look into that harness u mentioned, but like i said the hazard issue is still in mind.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Strada

Well, i assume that the trailer has his own 7 Pin harness already installed?, then the connector looks like this on the trailer, right??

http://bilder.werkzeug-vertrieb.de/w...03020/big1.jpg

This diagram shows, what pin is used for each function (this picture shows the view on the Connector, NOT on the socket.The look on the socket, that will be installed on your Dodge, is mirror inverted)

http://www.unimogfreunde.de/technik-...draufsicht.jpg

Pin / Code / Function

1 L Blinker links / Turn signal LEFT
2 54g Free
3 31 Masse/ Ground
4 R Blinker rechts/ Turn signal RIGHT
5 58R Rücklicht rechts/ Tail light RIGHT
6 54 Bremslicht/ Stoplight (both sides)
7 58L Rücklicht links / Tail light LEFT

To install the Universal harness on your Dodge, you just "steal" the power directly from the tail lights and the ground from everywhere you want and then you just connect the wire´s to the right numbers inside the socket and you are done!
With hazards you mean the turn signals right?
You just steal the turn signal, from the wire, that send´s the signal to the tail lights, you can do it directly from the turn relais, if you want.

I hope it helps a bit and is not to confusing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing in Germany