4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low fluid in rear end

Old 12-17-2010, 02:13 PM
thedrywallguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low fluid in rear end

So I just got a call from the dodge service manager stating that I need to bring my truck in because of low fluid levels in the rear diff. I have only had the truck 1 month and have 4000 km on it. He said it was sent this way from the factory...I asked if it was urgent and he said it wasnt life or death. I cant help but think that low diff fluid cant be a good thing....He said he just got the memo yesterday...Anyone else get this call??

Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 PM
TheRiz
Amateur
Default Diff Fluid

Let them check it.I have an 09, No problems.Going to dump both diffs in the spring.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Mark Benson
Rookie

This is only for the 2011 Ram 1500's, it's an RRT#3-001-10 about adding additional rear differential and friction modifier. Hope this helps.

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves adding an additional 19 fluid oz. of rear axle lube and a 1 fluid oz. of
friction modifier to the rear differential.
MODELS:
2011 (DS) RAM 1500 Pick-up
2011 (DX) RAM TRUCK (Mexico)
NOTE: This Service Bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.55 rear axle or a
3.92 rear axle (Sales Code DMD or DMH) built before December 11, 2010
(MDH 1211XX).
DISCUSSION:
This Service Bulletin is being released as a preventative countermeasure to address an
axle durability condition.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:30 AM
stevo7
Default get it checked

i have a '09 with no problems.

my bud just bought a 2011 1500 big horn, had 500 miles on the odom and the rear end went on the way to work yesterday. he said it sounded like he was running on the rumble strip and limped to work @ 45 mph with the *** end howling. Flat bed picked it up at work, dealer said he needed a new rear end?! and that they just got the recall notice that day. they will have his truck for several days...waiting for parts now.

not sure what actually caused the failure (low fluid or other). my bud's not very mechanical or good on the phone (yells a lot and doesn't listen) so i don't have specifics, but i would ask the dealer about it if you have a 2011.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:33 AM
thedrywallguy

Thats what I'm afraid of with mine...I have 4000 km on it, and the last thing I want is to have to get a new rear end, although it would be a warrenty issue, it would also be a huge inconvinience. I guess I'll just cross my fingers that nothing goes wrong between now and Monday when it goes in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low fluid in rear end