4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tailgate Camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 AM
72combo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate Camera

To those who have them or have installed them is the camera in the tailgate handle just flush or is there and angled piece to point it the right way or is the shape of the tailgate alone enough of an angle the camera shoots down the correct direction? Thanks. Just out of curiousity does anyone know how to tell which way is up on an aftermarket cam without installing it? I don't want a crooked or upside down picture LOL. On the back the only thing is a little hole I was thinking that might be the bottom some type of drain hole for condensation?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Islander_212
Rookie

72c

My factory one is a wide angle sort and it picks up everything fairly well. The only complaint I have is that, while it adjusts for low light conditions, it does not compensate for shadows (I doubt any of them can) so you have some instances where the tailgate of the truck casts a shadow over the trailer and it is *******ly impossible to see the tounge of the trailer

Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 AM
sanababit
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which camera did you get, did you get the ones that are about nickel size?, that is what i got from ebay, there is no way of telling which side is up till you can see it on the monitor, it happened to me, but it was really easy to move, just dont install the back cover of the tailgate till your done, anyways, just open the backdoor cover on the tailgate, find the exact spot where you want to install the camera, make the hole (i believe i used a 11/16 drill bit, just double check), put the camera in, ran the wires from the camera, down the tailgate, behind the bumper, underneath the chasis, along the wiring harness for the hitch all the way to the front, pushed it through a cut i made on a plastic boot just under the master cylinder and to the dash they went, it took me about 30 minutes to do all that, just get enough cable, id say about 30 feet for video and power, oh and on the power, remember that the center pin is the positive, hope this helps...

sana

Old 06-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Dustinmc15
Rookie

Yes, the camera I installed sits flush on the tailgate handle and the field of view is perfect.
Name:  reverse_camera.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  78.0 KB
Name:  camera_view.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  33.8 KB

Old 06-10-2010, 04:14 PM
72combo
Champion

That looks like the ones sorta, they came with drill bits one for each...same size . Well I guess two orders in one package. I am not in love with the wiring was yours kinda well not that automotive looking did you put it in loom at least? The power wire is like a 22 guage wire too. Good twenty feet to where its gonna hook up to the Lock pick. I think I may put the lockpick under the dash on the drivers side there is so much wire.
Thanks for the picksand info.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:58 PM
nick bourgeois
Amateur

Are you guys hooking up the camera to the factory units without Lockpick??? If so, how.. i though the dealer had to hook it up. thanks

Old 06-11-2010, 12:00 AM
renos09
Veteran

Does your back up camera come on when your foot is on the brake in reverse or just reverse no foot on the brake? I have to keep my foot on the brake in reverse otherwise the image does not show up. Did I wire it incorrectly to the tailights.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory one comes on any time vehicle is in R. Perhaps you hooked your camera power to the brake wire instead of 12V constant line?

Rob

Old 06-11-2010, 11:42 AM
Dustinmc15
Rookie

Originally Posted by 72combo
That looks like the ones sorta, they came with drill bits one for each...same size . Well I guess two orders in one package. I am not in love with the wiring was yours kinda well not that automotive looking did you put it in loom at least? The power wire is like a 22 guage wire too. Good twenty feet to where its gonna hook up to the Lock pick. I think I may put the lockpick under the dash on the drivers side there is so much wire.
Thanks for the picksand info.
I wrapped any wires exposed to the elements in electrical tape, definitely not a professional job but it works.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Dustinmc15
Rookie

Originally Posted by renos09
Does your back up camera come on when your foot is on the brake in reverse or just reverse no foot on the brake? I have to keep my foot on the brake in reverse otherwise the image does not show up. Did I wire it incorrectly to the tailights.
Yeah it sounds like you tapped into the brake lights for power. I have an Allgig that provides a power source when you are in reverse or if you hit the on/off button twice on your radio, so that is what I used.

Quick Reply: Tailgate Camera