4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

uconnect radio problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:21 PM
firecapt235
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uconnect radio problems

My 2010 Ram Laramie touch screen radio has developed a prob. Every once in a while when I crank the truck, the uconnect and dodge symbol come up on the screen, but the radio wont come on. The buttons wont work either. It stays like this for about 30 seconds then shuts down. After about 15 seconds it comes back on works normally. Any thoughts?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:09 PM
scots2413

Mine did this yesterday when I used the automatic start. I am thinking about taking it to the dealership because I have only had the truck for 3 weeks. I turned the truck off, restarted, then turned the radio off and it finally came back on to work normal. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
72combo
Champion

Is it really hot where you are right now? That might be an issue you get driving a/c on radio cools enough to come on.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Cheap_thrills
Amateur

because of the hard drive there is an overheat sensor for the system.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 PM
scots2413

well there is my answer. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2010, 09:41 AM
firecapt235

I don't think its a heat prob. Mine has done this several times, and it hasn't been that hot when its done it. We have had way hotter days and it hasn't done it.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:02 PM
mnl001
Rookie

On my RER,there apparently is a small fan that has a tendency to stop working. That can cause the unit to stop as the internal works heats up. At least that is what the dealer told me. BTW, my truck arrived at dealer on July 13 and I am waiting for my third radio. First had the problem described, the second literally smoked (cabin had icky smoke smell for a couple days). If you do take it to dealer and you may have to wait for a replacement. I had a hole in my dash the first time for 17 days. I am now waiting 4 days and counting with another hole where the radio was. They say two weeks back order

Old 09-25-2010, 12:45 AM
72combo
Champion

They are looking for a used one for you I bet. Or a refurbished one. I bought one used and it had a sticker on it said refurbished by some company, it had a scratch on the screen but worked, I got a super deal on it and got a dashplate for nothing good thing since this came out of a Town and Country but had the red letters like the Routan. Well I got the proper face plate, We had some really hot days and neither used Nav radio in the Avenger or Ram acted up. But air conditioning could be the reason for that.
You can get a new one anyday of the week but I would bet yours has gone to get fixed, they charge like 300 and change to go over your radio plus any parts you need. So yours went to get fixed I bet. Supposed to be a 10 day turn over I was told. I was gonna send mine in for the screen but I found a screen actually a few on some site. Got a screen and a complete faceplate for nothing. Just cleaning out the shop I guess.
My question would be why has it happened so many times? Gotta be something causing it? Do you crank the heck out of it? How many miles?

Old 09-25-2010, 08:35 AM
mnl001
Rookie

In my case, they say it is a new unit each time. The dealer is saying that it is not Dodge’s fault, but that of the distributer that Dodge uses in Canada for warranty parts maintains low stock levels. Dealer has also advised that the RER has a lot of problems. They are seeing about one a week and mainly the radios in the 2010 model
The dealer has also been on the phone with the “tech line” at Dodge. Before they replace the next radio, they want to remove the iPod module. There is a small possibility that the wrong module was installed. Tech services wants to see if there is excessive current draw from that module that is putting stress on the radio and causing the failures.
All I know for sure is that, I have been on the phone with the Dodge people (corporate) as I am not happy with this truck. It has 5200 km or 3000 miles. It has been at the dealer for 14 days for repairs since I took possession in July.
72 Combo, I see you are also from Ontario. Just so you know, if you have NAV on this radio and you travel north, get a Garmin. In my trip north I had both the internal NAV and Garmin both running. Now you think I am not sane. That piece of crap has nothing digitalized north of Southern Ontario. Yes the roads are there (even park roads that are in provincial parks), but you cannot search them. As an example, try inputting Kirkland Lake (One of the largest northern Ontario Towns – 10,000 new families a year move there- gold mines). I have also mentioned this to Dodge corporate and they say they get that have heard that complaint before about Canadian mapping but “if you travel to the US, you will be impressed”.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:50 AM
War Horse
All Star

My RER has been acting wonky for awhile. It's done the same thing several times, plus it's wiped my media files a couple of times, displayed only a blue field for the Nav, and once it even threw up some error code and said to contact tech support. The iPod cable hasn't worked well either. I've tried it with two different iPods and three different iPhones and quite often it'll only play audio out the front drivers side speaker. Sometimes though it'll work like a charm and sound great.

Quick Reply: uconnect radio problems