4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

squeeks and rattles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
MADMAXIN22
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeeks and rattles?

anyone have any? gotten anywhere with a dealer over a noise? my center console squeeks horribly anytime it is below 50 degrees and anyone puts an elbow on it... when i release the latch for the lower console it goes away unless its latched... wasn't even sure if i should mention it to the dealer since they said i had no issue with the fuel filler housing and now theres a service bulletin for it... they don't seem to give a crap about anything they aren't making full labor on...

Old 12-04-2010, 01:52 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by MADMAXIN22
anyone have any? gotten anywhere with a dealer over a noise? my center console squeeks horribly anytime it is below 50 degrees and anyone puts an elbow on it... when i release the latch for the lower console it goes away unless its latched... wasn't even sure if i should mention it to the dealer since they said i had no issue with the fuel filler housing and now theres a service bulletin for it... they don't seem to give a crap about anything they aren't making full labor on...
The dealers aren`t really much help...and i completely take your side on your opinion of them.
I was reading on some other dodge forums that some of the dealers are fixing the console squeaks by spraying silicone in some areas where they think the squeaks might be coming from and tighting all mounting nuts and screws and people are saying their sqeaks and rattles are now gone. In my own opinion, i dont think thats a permanate fix, i`m betting it will come back eventually....BUT, i could be wrong too. We`ll see...!!!!!

Mine sqeaked and rattled breifly the first day i brought the truck home, i took care of it by wiping some vasoline on the latch`s and sprayed some clear lube on the hindges, so far, mine has never been an issue again..., and that was 8 months ago. I also checked all the mounting points, everything was tight at that time.

Another thing to look for, check the chrome trim ring around the console shifter. Mine was fine, but i have heard others complain that theirs squeaked alot. Those guys were sayin they fixed theirs by adding double stick foam tape to it and re-installed it, and they said that resolved their console squeak.

Anyhow, hope maybe this might shed some light on it for you... some others in here may have some good fixs too

Last edited by HEMI5150; 12-04-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:18 AM
mike2810
Captain

Actually I have worked with two different Dodge dealerships to fix rattles in the center console and one in the dash. The center console they replaced some parts and added some foam strips. the passenger side dash rattle, they added foam strips and wrapped the wires up with padding. Seemed to have cured the rattles.

I still have a few occasional squeeks/rattles that are short lived and very temp related. Unlike some, I have been more than happy with Dodge dealerships in addressing my concerns.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:29 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran
Default stealership toads

Originally Posted by mike2810
Actually I have worked with two different Dodge dealerships to fix rattles in the center console and one in the dash. The center console they replaced some parts and added some foam strips. the passenger side dash rattle, they added foam strips and wrapped the wires up with padding. Seemed to have cured the rattles.

I still have a few occasional squeeks/rattles that are short lived and very temp related. Unlike some, I have been more than happy with Dodge dealerships in addressing my concerns.
So basically they did a bandaid fix, and you still have occasional squeaks/rattles...????
To me, thats NOT acceptable, BUT as long as that makes you happy, thats what counts

Old 12-04-2010, 09:35 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Sorry folks, spending $30,000 to $50,000 for a truck, it shouldn`t be a rattle bucket.
BUT, then again, they sure do use ALOT of plastic in these vehicles today...!
Temp changes, rattles and squeaks are ALWAYS gonna come and go...nature of the beast

Old 12-04-2010, 11:23 AM
POWER SEDAN
Captain

I just took the center console apart as well and used foam tape to cure the rattle. Seemed to help at that point, although the other week it started to rattle again nonstop, sort of PO'd and annoyed by the rattle noise I drove my fist into the shifter console (passenger side) while driving, and the rattle went away completely. Must of had something loose still, but the rattle is 100% gone.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:51 PM
mike2810
Captain

Originally Posted by HEMI5150
So basically they did a bandaid fix, and you still have occasional squeaks/rattles...????
To me, thats NOT acceptable, BUT as long as that makes you happy, thats what counts
You miss understood. They fixed the rattles I had. Every vehicle I have ever owned (I am 60), had some squeeks due to plastic/metal expanding contracting. These go away as the vehicle comes up a comfortable temp. For example the plastic around the radio/heater. A little silicon lubricant pretty much controls that.

I am realistic on what manufactors can do. Hell, I have riden in mbenz, bmw, lexus, that were anywhere from new to a few years old. Guess what, each one of them had some sort of rattle/squeek noise.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:41 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MADMAXIN22
My lid did the same thing. Little grease where the latch hooks and problem has been gone for over a year.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:40 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by mike2810
You miss understood. They fixed the rattles I had. Every vehicle I have ever owned (I am 60), had some squeeks due to plastic/metal expanding contracting. These go away as the vehicle comes up a comfortable temp. For example the plastic around the radio/heater. A little silicon lubricant pretty much controls that.

I am realistic on what manufactors can do. Hell, I have riden in mbenz, bmw, lexus, that were anywhere from new to a few years old. Guess what, each one of them had some sort of rattle/squeek noise.
I DO have to agree with you mike, somewhat, due to temp`s, but.....
i am the original owner of a 1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340SIXPAK, never restored, not a single squeak or rattle since day one, and that only cost me $4 grand, but my $40,000 dollar dodge truck sounds like a house full of hungry mice and a shakin`bucket of marbles driving down the road...? I understand to a degree that some vehicles DO have some squeaks and rattles, but one would think the quality would have came up along with the price thru the years. Ok, i`m dreaming again, sorry.....lol

Old 12-05-2010, 10:49 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by POWER SEDAN
I just took the center console apart as well and used foam tape to cure the rattle. Seemed to help at that point, although the other week it started to rattle again nonstop, sort of PO'd and annoyed by the rattle noise I drove my fist into the shifter console (passenger side) while driving, and the rattle went away completely. Must of had something loose still, but the rattle is 100% gone.
You punched your console...???
Anger management needed now...??? (eek`s...!)
You must have skeeeeer`d it away...lol

Quick Reply: squeeks and rattles?