DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech-120/)
-   -   Recommendations for cam, throttle body, headers, other stuff. (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/269583-recommendations-for-cam-throttle-body-headers-other-stuff.html)

TheDarkFox 11-24-2010 03:00 PM

Supercharger's coming next year. The unit i want cost 4k new, so i'm holding off on it for now.

Meanwhile, I read many mopar enthusiasts upgrade pistons and things like that, but i have no idea what i'm looking for parts-wise.

POWER SEDAN 11-24-2010 03:19 PM

I'd go with the Comp Cam XFI 268 (based on my experience), with upgraded valve springs and rods, (assuming your going MDS'less) or just shut it off, but that would require lifters, or purchasing a Diablo series tuner. If your afraid of losing to much bottom end, stick with shorties (rather LT's), and highflows. Topped with a CMR tune, you'll be sitting pretty, until your blower is installed.

TheDarkFox 11-25-2010 12:48 AM

The cam you suggested (and thank you for doing so) has a less aggressive lift than what i was originally considering.

If i went with shortys to compensate for low-end, how are they going to be doing at ~100mph when i fly through the trap? I dont want to sacrifice a lot of high-end power just so i'll save a second on my zero to sixty time if it's going to add more time to my quarter mile.

What kind/brand springs/valves are you recommending? Any suggestions?

I didnt even really think about how MDS plays into all this. (why two heads are better than one). Am i going to have to leave it behind for good? And why would i need to buy a Diablo tuner when i already have a SC Cortex? And what is a CMR tune?

POWER SEDAN 11-25-2010 04:30 PM

Well, I guess you could go longtube, with a torque convertor. I have the Mopar Headers (no longer in production) which were actually designed more as a midtube, which in returned would not throw a O2 code at the rear (not that it mattered to me anyways). I don't believe you'll sacrifice much high-end with an aggressive cam (more lift) running shorties. Any Comp Cam series besides the 260, will require a MDS delete (268, and 273 series). Your motor will run really rough without the MDS delete. Most guys I know that run the 273, usually have modified heads installed to allow for more lift.

I installed the 6.1 spring valves, and pushrods (my Charger), and I know of couple guys that are running the 273 cam with the same springs and rods. Running the 5.7 setup could be fatal, the springs/rods have less strength. If you can't disable the the MDS with your Cortex, at this point when swapping your valve springs/rods, you could always install the MDS lifters, to disable your MDS.

I'm not familiar with the SC Cortex... Does it have an option to disable the MDS? Also are you able to write a custom tune with the Cortex (aka CMR tune)?

Originally Posted by TheDarkFox (Post 2329992)
The cam you suggested (and thank you for doing so) has a less aggressive lift than what i was originally considering.

If i went with shortys to compensate for low-end, how are they going to be doing at ~100mph when i fly through the trap? I dont want to sacrifice a lot of high-end power just so i'll save a second on my zero to sixty time if it's going to add more time to my quarter mile.

What kind/brand springs/valves are you recommending? Any suggestions?

I didnt even really think about how MDS plays into all this. (why two heads are better than one). Am i going to have to leave it behind for good? And why would i need to buy a Diablo tuner when i already have a SC Cortex? And what is a CMR tune?

TheDarkFox 11-25-2010 06:34 PM

For record, posting in all bold is less-desirable to read. Just saying.

I can disable MDS on my Cortex, yes.

As far as MDS is concerned though, for the total number of parts involved (thus money), wouldnt i be better off just going without it?

Attono 11-25-2010 07:27 PM

I saw Stacey David talking about adding a Magnacharger Supercharger on an 09 Ram on Gearz. If memory serves, it was supposed to add 130 RWHP.

http://www.shophemi.com/c-667-magna-charger.aspx

POWER SEDAN 11-25-2010 09:56 PM

If you can disable MDS through your Cortex, then don’t even bother with installing lifters, but if you're going with a more aggressive cam (more lift), unless it’s something less then what the 260 CC is rated at, I would certainly be replacing your push rods, and springs, at the very minimum.

Sorry about the bold, but that’s just the way I roll. I also use italics, nothing new for me though, it’s like that with all my forums I subscribe too.

POWER SEDAN 11-25-2010 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Attono (Post 2330455)
I saw Stacey David talking about adding a Magnacharger Supercharger on an 09 Ram on Gearz. If memory serves, it was supposed to add 130 RWHP.

http://www.shophemi.com/c-667-magna-charger.aspx

That's pretty slick!