4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Shutter

Old 12-03-2010, 05:16 PM
uashemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Shutter

So i've noticed it before but not this bad. I drove up to Phoenix this weekend (about a 3 1/2 hour drive) and noticed that when I would turn off cruise control to slow down and then push up to resume the speed I would get a slight shutter. Hmmm...wierd. Then I noticed than when I would accelerate to pass I would get a very hard shift. Felt kind of like the u-joints were bad. I checked them and they seem fine. Then, of course after I pick up the cute red head I went to see, the truck decided to embarress me. I was driving like 60-65 and hit the gas to pass and the truck just shuttered and felt like either torque converter lockup issues or just straight transmission slip.

Also my gas mileage was crap! My usual 19-20 mpg was suddenly 17! This maybe related if the transmission is slipping a little and the engine has to work more.

I'm already expecting a "could not duplicate" from the dealer when I bring it to them.

Ideas?

Nick

Old 12-04-2010, 01:03 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by uashemi
So i've noticed it before but not this bad. I drove up to Phoenix this weekend (about a 3 1/2 hour drive) and noticed that when I would turn off cruise control to slow down and then push up to resume the speed I would get a slight shutter. Hmmm...wierd. Then I noticed than when I would accelerate to pass I would get a very hard shift. Felt kind of like the u-joints were bad. I checked them and they seem fine. Then, of course after I pick up the cute red head I went to see, the truck decided to embarress me. I was driving like 60-65 and hit the gas to pass and the truck just shuttered and felt like either torque converter lockup issues or just straight transmission slip.

Also my gas mileage was crap! My usual 19-20 mpg was suddenly 17! This maybe related if the transmission is slipping a little and the engine has to work more.

I'm already expecting a "could not duplicate" from the dealer when I bring it to them.

Ideas?

Nick
I`m guessing its a 2009 (???)
How many miles on the truck (???)
Sounds like it might be a possible line pressure issue.
Dont keep driving it, get it into the stealership and have it checked out asap.

These dam car/truck companies just cant build a tranny worth a FUGG anymore

Last edited by HEMI5150; 12-04-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:38 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

How many miles on the truck? Has it ever had a fliud/filter change? Fill out your signature so we know what you drive,equipment etc.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Deuces

Mine did the same thing a couple times when I went on a long trip and used my cruise control frequently. I believe it is all MDS related. The other day I went to speed up to get on the free way from the on ramp and when I mashed it I was probably around 45 with MDS on, and soon as I mashed it my truck lunged, jerked, felt like it was cutting power/tranny slipping......who knows???? This kind of thing only happens when going from 4 cylinders back to 8, definitely a tuning problem I would think.

If you put the truck in 5th gear, it runs exactly like it should. I find myself driving around all the time like this and only use the MDS when cruising for long distances. Once I get the tuning software, MDS is getting disabled first thing.

Hope this helps. Take Care!

Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by Deuces
Mine did the same thing a couple times when I went on a long trip and used my cruise control frequently. I believe it is all MDS related. The other day I went to speed up to get on the free way from the on ramp and when I mashed it I was probably around 45 with MDS on, and soon as I mashed it my truck lunged, jerked, felt like it was cutting power/tranny slipping......who knows???? This kind of thing only happens when going from 4 cylinders back to 8, definitely a tuning problem I would think.

If you put the truck in 5th gear, it runs exactly like it should. I find myself driving around all the time like this and only use the MDS when cruising for long distances. Once I get the tuning software, MDS is getting disabled first thing.

Hope this helps. Take Care!
Combination of MDS and Torque Managment is what you`re feeling.
And yes, 5th gear usually stops most of this issue. (exception to the torque management, cant change that without a tuner, but its still limited)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Shutter