4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Old 12-03-2010, 07:26 AM
KAM634
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 4X4. I also have an after market auto start. When I use if the display in the truck shows Lo Tire. Now whenwever I start the truck everytime the TPMS shows low tire pressure. Any thoughts.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Dennis01
Rookie

I had the same problem and stopped by the dealership and they topped up the tires (nitrogen) and end of problem.
I have a aftermarket remote started and so far no problems.

Last edited by Dennis01; 12-04-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:18 AM
706jim
Veteran

My monitor shows 34psi. I checked all of the tires last night in my heated garage and all measured 38psi. Same thing (34psi) when I left this morning with "warm" tires.
So, I don't know how much I would trust the remote reading. It's better than nothing I suppose.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your tires are actually at the correct pressure, then what is happening is likely electronic interference between the tire pressure sensors and the auto start. The sensors are wireless. On my truck, when my HIDs turn on the low tire light comes on for a second and then goes out for the same reason.

However, if your warning light stays on for more than a few seconds then maybe whoever installed the auto start goofed something up in the wiring harness and that is confusing the computer.

Rob

Old 12-03-2010, 08:02 PM
1970Duster440
Rookie

I don't remember reading it in the owners manual on the Ram but in the wifes car's it states that some rf signals will cause the tpi light to come on. The reason I know is we took it on vacation the first year we had it and the tpi light came on while we driving thru Jacksonville so I pulled off and checked the pressure in all the tires even the spare and they were all at 35. Got out the manual and sure enough. Took off again and after about 5 more miles the light went off. Coming back home it came on again coming thu Jacksonville and goes off when we get out. Its probably the signal your after market is sending to start the truck.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:51 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by 1970Duster440
I don't remember reading it in the owners manual on the Ram but in the wifes car's it states that some rf signals will cause the tpi light to come on. The reason I know is we took it on vacation the first year we had it and the tpi light came on while we driving thru Jacksonville so I pulled off and checked the pressure in all the tires even the spare and they were all at 35. Got out the manual and sure enough. Took off again and after about 5 more miles the light went off. Coming back home it came on again coming thu Jacksonville and goes off when we get out. Its probably the signal your after market is sending to start the truck.
I have to agree with 70duster440, i have seen this happen on other TPMS vehicles

Take your truck back to the "aftermarket" repairshop and have them fix it...lol
Anyhow... ther might be a way of changing the rf frequency of the remote start module, so get ahold of the manufactuer that made your remote starter kit and ask them if thats possible. Going to depend on the type remote system you have, but some of them CAN be re-programed, some cant. Please check your tire pressure`s first before doing anything else. Also, the dealership can tell you what your sensors turn on at and off at too.

Last edited by HEMI5150; 12-04-2010 at 12:54 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitoring System