4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ethanolt Treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 AM
gtknoles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanolt Treatment?

Took my 2011 Ram Big Horn to dealer for first time oil change... Service manager comes out and says, " Your truck needs an ethanol treatment" Well i refused. Nothing in the servie manual saids truck is required an ethanol treatment.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 AM
WNDERR
Veteran

Good for you! Just a ploy to upsell you!

Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 AM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"ethanol treatment"
Awesome! Please tell us that you have the 5.7 Hemi; it's the only way that story gets better.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 AM
wmichell227
Veteran

You should have played along and asked him to change the blinker fluid too....

Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 AM
merv
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of "an ethanol treatment" (except for stabil), but it sounded like he wanted to hook up a machine to clean your injectorsor something. So I googled "ethanol treatment" and the first two things that come up were Alcoholism Treatment; maybe he thought you needed help

Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 PM
plumcrazy73
Captain

no next time have them show you where that is needed at in the maintenance schedule

Old 03-08-2011, 01:36 PM
gtknoles

I just got the call today from dealership asking about how my service was? I responded,,, " Well the smoke coming from my ears was from your service manager blowing smoke up my ***." This dealership basically sucks from the salespeople to the service department. I figured give them another chance well strike out.... Oh dealership Lee Chyrsler Dodge Crestview (Crestucky) Florida...

Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Did you ever find out what he was talking about?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

Originally Posted by gtknoles
Took my 2011 Ram Big Horn to dealer for first time oil change... Service manager comes out and says, " Your truck needs an ethanol treatment" Well i refused. Nothing in the servie manual saids truck is required an ethanol treatment.
If you`re going to treat it, do it yourself, its cheaper than the stealership doing it.
Most of us probably know, that alcohol attracts moisture. Ethanol IS alcohol...!!!!
My personal advice, do it..! Water will ruin your fuel system if you dont.

Ethanol Treatment and why
http://mystarbrite.com/startron//con...12/34/lang,en/

Personally, i like using the "StaBil-Marine Grade" enthanol treatment my self.
But use what ever you want, so long as you`re using some type of treatment.
Where i live, i`ve tested some of the gas stations, we`re seeing up to 30% blend of ethanol in our gas here...NOT GOOD...!!!!!
Ever wonder why some gas gets you better MPG`s, and some of the others dont...????
The more enthanol thats in the gas, the less MPG`s you`ll get.

This is from the weblink above:
E-10 Ethanol-Enhanced Gasoline

Ethanol-enhanced gas, referred to as E-10, is now available in most markets. Ethanol, also known as ethyl alcohol, is a high-octane fuel additive. Compared to 100% gasoline, E-10 provides less power and causes a decrease in fuel efficiency. This is because ethanol produces less energy than gasoline; it simply cannot deliver the same performance of 100% gasoline. This also explains why a decrease in fuel economy is not uncommon when switching to E-10 fuel. However, Star Tron® solves both issues. The enzymes allow for a more complete burn of the fuel – both the gas and the ethanol - resulting in maximum performance. A more complete burn of the fuel also means less wasted fuel either in the form of carbon deposits or emissions, so fuel efficiency is also maximized.

Last edited by HEMI5150; 03-09-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:56 AM
HEMI5150
Veteran

The rest of it is here:

E-10 Ethanol-Enhanced Gasoline

In addition to a loss of power and economy, E-10 can cause other problems. Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning that it will attract water from the air, which is absorbed into the gas. The water bonds to the ethanol, becoming heavier than gas and the mixture sinks, lowering the octane level and causing performance problems. This is Phase Separation. Cold temperatures will accelerate this separation. Ethanol is also a potent solvent that will loosen old gum and varnish deposits, which can darken the fuel and foul filters and fuel injectors with large particles. The mixture of ethanol, water and particles can form a gelatinous sludge layer on the tank bottom that can block filters and damage your engine. During operation, Star Tron’s® powerful enzymes allow water to be dispersed throughout the fuel as sub-micron sized droplets that are safely eliminated as the engine operates. They also slowly break down the sludge, cleaning out your fuel tank while restoring the gas’ combustion characteristics to insure proper and safe engine operation.

Quick Reply: Ethanolt Treatment?