4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0742 Torque Converter clutch circuit stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 AM
InterpunX
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0742 Torque Converter clutch circuit stuck on

Anybody else ever have the (P0742 Torque Converter clutch circuit stuck on) code pop up. I started last year acting up mostly when i was doing towing. I noticed sometimes when say going up a long hill, the overdrive would kick in (torque converter unlocked) and then would stay like that and not lock up again even if i eased on the pedal no matter what it was stuck unlocked and the engine light comes on. But after a while the light disapears and it seems ok, especially when driving with no trailer. Also the truck stalled like 3 times in its lifetime at a red light, which i think is related with the torque converter problem.

But then again lately it started doing it, i notice when it does it right away cause it wont drop RPMs when it should, but the light doesnt come on always, but i check with my trinity and the code P0742 is there. So what i do is pull over, stop the truck and erase the code and then everything is fine until have have a long hill climb or long accelaration periods where the tranny goes into overdrive but doesnt lockup after. Si i just keep erasing the code and its fine, has not done it for a bit and havent had the chance to go to dealership yet.

Anybody ever have this issue or anybody ever experienced this code with any vehicles and if yes what was the solution?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 AM
InterpunX
Captain

Taking it to the dealership today to look at the problem and also to change my plugs.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 PM
HEMI2500TRX4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission shudder

Did you experience any stumbling shaking or unusual noises when this occured? I was towing and climbing a long steep hill today and thought my truck was falling apart.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
InterpunX
Captain

Originally Posted by HEMI2500TRX4
Did you experience any stumbling shaking or unusual noises when this occured? I was towing and climbing a long steep hill today and thought my truck was falling apart.
No noises when this happens.

The only noise i could maybe relate with the torque converter is a rattling (exhaust rattling on frame kind of sound) happening at 1900 rpm about. But that's a different story in a different thread.

What was happening with yours and u have a 2500 Hemi?

Old 03-03-2011, 04:39 PM
InterpunX
Captain

Update:

Truck was in dealership and they ordered a new torque converter and will have it changed as soon as it comes in.

Quick Reply: P0742 Torque Converter clutch circuit stuck on