4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Magnaflow 16870

Old 05-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Patsfan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Magnaflow 16870

Just picked up a dual stainless Magnaflow cat-back and looking forward to installing tomorrow. Anyone change their single to dual yourself and is there anything to beware of when installing?

Old 05-07-2011, 05:09 AM
TDTIPMO
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how this goes. I'm wanting to do this myself.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Patsfan
Professional

Well it's done and went well. There was a bit of a learning curve as the removal was straight forward but the assembly was a bit challenging at times. Overall it wasn't that bad and took about three hours. I had my friend drop by with his 09 Sport and we swapped his duals for the 16869 and it was even quicker as I had figured a few tricks from the previous install.

The removal was easy as there are band clamps on the stock muffler and tail pipe. I soaked them with WD-40 the night before and with a little persuasion and a 1/2 breaker bar they popped and ratcheted off no problem. The tail pipe was the first to come off with some back and forth motion and the hanger removed. The muffler was a little tighter and has two hangers, so they weren’t removed until it was dropped. I do recommend removing all hangers and greasing them prior to the installation.

The install was by the book so I started with the muffler and worked my way back. I recommend leaving the plastic wrap on the muffler and tailpipes until they are in their final place to save scratching them. Everything is fastened by band clamps again, so I started with everything snug but movable and adjusted accordingly through the install process. The driver’s side hanger install was not outlined on the sheet, so you have to put the pipe on and find the hole. It’s located on a cross member and the bolt faces down once installed. It was a little tricky lining the pipes up so I found it easier with the hangers on the pipes. This is because the OEM frame pegs are paired and the hangers are rigid so there isn’t much play once installed. Also, for the single exhaust to dual install, it would be good to purchase a hanger from Dodge beforehand as the supplied one is single hole and flimsy. It seems all these trucks have the existing hanger pegs on both sides from factory. Towards the end would be a good time to have a buddy to hold things in place for the final torque down.

I love this kit for what it is. I wanted a nice sounding, low drone system and the stainless just clinched the deal. The cost was also a selling point and I do recommend this kit for those wanting these options. I don’t recommend this kit for someone wanting a huge increase in noise pollution as my buddies sport conversion was not a big difference. I think it sounds much better than stock and with a descent CAI, it would be a nice increase in HP and rich sound.

Last edited by Patsfan; 05-08-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:52 PM
slims
Amateur
Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Patsfan
Professional

Last edited by Patsfan; 05-10-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:48 AM
Patsfan
Professional

Update, brought it in to the shop for an oil change and have the clamps torqued after about 200 km of driving. They were all to spec but the 3" pipe at the muffler was loose and leaking. We popped off the clamp and pulled out the exclusive reaction block and torqued to 90 ft/lb. I'm not sure why it was so loose, possibly the fact that there are two different metals joining or that aftermarket parts are joining oem and it wasn't specd right. It seems fine now and I will be back to the shop in a couple weeks to check and tack the tailpipes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Magnaflow 16870