4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can I Tow a camper?

Old 10-19-2011, 02:50 PM
RochesterRob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Tow a camper?

I have an 09 SLT 4x4 crew with 17 rims 4.7. A friend is in a jam and asked if I could pull his 30 foot gulfstream camper about 60 miles this weekend. I think its roughly 6000 lbs.

First question, when I bought the truck it has the plug set up for 4 & 7 pin in the bumper, but wouldn't I need some kind of brake booster gadget thing? Also, the truck came with the tow "prep" package, and I ordered the hitch that bolted up to the existing tube frame underneath. Isn't there different classes for certian types of hitches? Can I pull 6k. I'm going to do some homework, but figured this would be a good place to ask.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have no problems, unless your pulling it up MT Everest lol. I pulled 5,000lbs with a 4.0L 2wd ranger more often than I should have and had zero issues when I owned my ranger before buying my RAM.

Does his trailer have electric brakes, or does it have a hydraulic brakes?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 PM
RochesterRob

Electric I think..

ETA, its 95% flat and a straight shot

Old 10-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are (way) off on your weight estimation. My 19' travel trailer weighs in at 6k...

What is your maximum GCVW for your truck and how much does your truck weigh?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:45 PM
RochesterRob

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
I think you are (way) off on your weight estimation. My 19' travel trailer weighs in at 6k...

What is your maximum GCVW for your truck and how much does your truck weigh?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. His title says 6200

Old 10-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RochesterRob
I have an 09 SLT 4x4 crew with 17 rims 4.7. A friend is in a jam and asked if I could pull his 30 foot gulfstream camper about 60 miles this weekend. I think its roughly 6000 lbs.

First question, when I bought the truck it has the plug set up for 4 & 7 pin in the bumper, but wouldn't I need some kind of brake booster gadget thing? Also, the truck came with the tow "prep" package, and I ordered the hitch that bolted up to the existing tube frame underneath. Isn't there different classes for certian types of hitches? Can I pull 6k. I'm going to do some homework, but figured this would be a good place to ask.

Thanks
You need an electric brake controller and the hitch you are describing sounds like it's the 6000 Lb hitch - if it's as you said - bolts to the existing tube frame. You could probably get away with it for 60 miles but then, you might damage your truck.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 10-19-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: corrected from 5000 to 6000 Lbs
Old 10-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Islander_212
Rookie

I pull a 30' that is around 8,000 lbs. as towed no problem. Get 12 MPG doing it too. The weight rating doubles on that hitch with weight distributing bars. Make sure it has them and use them. The weights of the trailer are likely dry weights with nothing in them and may not even include options as added. I woud add at least 2,000 lbs if it is an empty, dry weight. I do use electric brakes with an aftermarket controller.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RochesterRob

Thanks
Rob,

Check your owners manual for towing information. If you do not have one you can download one from the link below for free. It also has other towing information on this site which is direct from Dodge. You should have a class IV hitch for that weight.

https://www.dodge.com//hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can I Tow a camper?