DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech-120/)
-   -   Can I Tow a camper? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/307256-can-i-tow-a-camper.html)

RochesterRob 10-19-2011 02:50 PM

Can I Tow a camper?

I have an 09 SLT 4x4 crew with 17 rims 4.7. A friend is in a jam and asked if I could pull his 30 foot gulfstream camper about 60 miles this weekend. I think its roughly 6000 lbs.

First question, when I bought the truck it has the plug set up for 4 & 7 pin in the bumper, but wouldn't I need some kind of brake booster gadget thing? Also, the truck came with the tow "prep" package, and I ordered the hitch that bolted up to the existing tube frame underneath. Isn't there different classes for certian types of hitches? Can I pull 6k. I'm going to do some homework, but figured this would be a good place to ask.

Thanks

Mikeyyy816 10-19-2011 03:32 PM

You should have no problems, unless your pulling it up MT Everest lol. I pulled 5,000lbs with a 4.0L 2wd ranger more often than I should have and had zero issues when I owned my ranger before buying my RAM.

Does his trailer have electric brakes, or does it have a hydraulic brakes?

RochesterRob 10-19-2011 03:33 PM

Electric I think..

ETA, its 95% flat and a straight shot

Cthulhu 10-19-2011 03:38 PM

I think you are (way) off on your weight estimation. My 19' travel trailer weighs in at 6k...

What is your maximum GCVW for your truck and how much does your truck weigh?

RochesterRob 10-19-2011 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Cthulhu (Post 2623903)
I think you are (way) off on your weight estimation. My 19' travel trailer weighs in at 6k...

What is your maximum GCVW for your truck and how much does your truck weigh?

That's what I'm trying to figure out. His title says 6200

Pedro Dog 10-19-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by RochesterRob (Post 2623879)
I have an 09 SLT 4x4 crew with 17 rims 4.7. A friend is in a jam and asked if I could pull his 30 foot gulfstream camper about 60 miles this weekend. I think its roughly 6000 lbs.

First question, when I bought the truck it has the plug set up for 4 & 7 pin in the bumper, but wouldn't I need some kind of brake booster gadget thing? Also, the truck came with the tow "prep" package, and I ordered the hitch that bolted up to the existing tube frame underneath. Isn't there different classes for certian types of hitches? Can I pull 6k. I'm going to do some homework, but figured this would be a good place to ask.

Thanks

You need an electric brake controller and the hitch you are describing sounds like it's the 6000 Lb hitch - if it's as you said - bolts to the existing tube frame. You could probably get away with it for 60 miles but then, you might damage your truck.

Islander_212 10-19-2011 07:48 PM

I pull a 30' that is around 8,000 lbs. as towed no problem. Get 12 MPG doing it too. The weight rating doubles on that hitch with weight distributing bars. Make sure it has them and use them. The weights of the trailer are likely dry weights with nothing in them and may not even include options as added. I woud add at least 2,000 lbs if it is an empty, dry weight. I do use electric brakes with an aftermarket controller.

DodgeCares 10-20-2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by RochesterRob (Post 2623879)

Thanks

Rob,

Check your owners manual for towing information. If you do not have one you can download one from the link below for free. It also has other towing information on this site which is direct from Dodge. You should have a class IV hitch for that weight.

https://www.dodge.com//hostb/crossbrand/owners/en/