4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to relearn tire position

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Peter sask
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to relearn tire position

09 Ram 1500 and I just did a tire rotation do I need to relearn tire position?

If I have to, how?

Old 03-10-2012, 01:13 PM
John Valdes
Veteran

Same here. I found out the Dealer was just putting the back tire on the front location on the same side every single time I had a tire rotation. I was always told they should be crisscrossed?

The service manager said they would move them anywhere I want. So I am going to use chalk to mark each tire, to make certain they crisscross each tire and the same tire is never put on the the same hub, until it has been on each hub once. That would mean that single tire will not be returned to the original location until the fourth rotation.
I am thinking this is the only way to be sure. Is this correct?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:53 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For over 40yrs, i`ve always rotated front to back, back to front, never an issue to this day. My tires would always exceed the expected miles by the tire manufactuer. I`ve never been convinced that criss/cross was ever good for a tire. Everytime i`ve had mine criss/crossed, the belts would warp/break, so i quit criss/crossing them. The key to getting miledge out of your tires, correct wheel alignment, rotate, balance, air pressure. If you have bad shocks and suspension parts, wheel bearings, that ALWAYS plays a huge factor with tire wear. Tire inflation is one of the most neglected but easiest things to fix... check them often..!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:57 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by John Valdes
Same here. I found out the Dealer was just putting the back tire on the front location on the same side every single time I had a tire rotation. I was always told they should be crisscrossed?

The service manager said they would move them anywhere I want. So I am going to use chalk to mark each tire, to make certain they crisscross each tire and the same tire is never put on the the same hub, until it has been on each hub once. That would mean that single tire will not be returned to the original location until the fourth rotation.
I am thinking this is the only way to be sure. Is this correct?
I believe it would be on the 5th rotation that the original tire position would be home again.
You can criss/cross if you like, but i found that my tires lasted alot longer not doing so.
Read thread #3, it kinda explains why.

Last edited by LU229; 03-13-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:06 AM
John Valdes
Veteran

My truck has less than 20,000 miles and the tires already look like crap. My friend looked at them and said they were feathering. I cannot see getting another 5,000-10,000 miles out of them. The dealer will do nothing. And neither will Goodyear. I have the stock Wranglers.
It would seem that criss crossing the tires would allow each tire to evenly wear as they will rotate in the opposite direction when they are on different sides of the vehicle?
I know nothing about tires as you can see. But I do want them to last. I have the air pressure checked each time I go to Costco. About once a month.
Also the raised white lettering is falling off/loosing color and looks bad. Did I get a bad set of tires? Or is normal for Goodyear Wranglers?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 AM
LU229
Banned

Originally Posted by John Valdes
My truck has less than 20,000 miles and the tires already look like crap. My friend looked at them and said they were feathering. I cannot see getting another 5,000-10,000 miles out of them. The dealer will do nothing. And neither will Goodyear. I have the stock Wranglers.
It would seem that criss crossing the tires would allow each tire to evenly wear as they will rotate in the opposite direction when they are on different sides of the vehicle?
I know nothing about tires as you can see. But I do want them to last. I have the air pressure checked each time I go to Costco. About once a month.
Also the raised white lettering is falling off/loosing color and looks bad. Did I get a bad set of tires? Or is normal for Goodyear Wranglers?
What you are experiencing is pretty much the norm for the OEM stock goodyears on these trucks. The OEM tires are always 2nd rate tires, the manufactuer will never install top of the line tires on a vehicle unless its a super car of some sort. Wear them out, replace them with better grade of tire, do an alignment once a year, check tire pressure often, rotate every 7,500 and you`ll be alright. Knowbody can tell you what the best tire is to put on these trucks because ther are to many people out there that have their own personal opinion about what the best tire is. (alot of it is a matter of personal opinion and what type of driving you do) My advice, go to some tire forums of all different brands and read the reviews, that will give you a much better idea and decisions on what you think will be best for you. No two people are going to agree on whats best... two people, two trucks, neither are ever the same scenario or drivin the same.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:42 AM
John Valdes
Veteran

Originally Posted by LU229
What you are experiencing is pretty much the norm for the OEM stock goodyears on these trucks. The OEM tires are always 2nd rate tires, the manufactuer will never install top of the line tires on a vehicle unless its a super car of some sort. Wear them out, replace them with better grade of tire, do an alignment once a year, check tire pressure often, rotate every 7,500 and you`ll be alright. Knowbody can tell you what the best tire is to put on these trucks because ther are to many people out there that have their own personal opinion about what the best tire is. (alot of it is a matter of personal opinion and what type of driving you do) My advice, go to some tire forums of all different brands and read the reviews, that will give you a much better idea and decisions on what you think will be best for you. No two people are going to agree on whats best... two people, two trucks, neither are ever the same scenario or drivin the same.
Thanks LU229. I appreciate your time.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 PM
72combo
Champion

Book says for 4x4 it is opposite of front wheel drive, rear tires forward, front crisscross not sure about rear wd,I Would think it would be the same as 4x4

Old 03-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My approach is basically to run the best two tires up front. If the tires are wearing evenly, use a tire thread gauge and select the best two for the front. The next best is usually on the passenger rear side. This can be the starting point for the next rotation as described by the manual.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 PM
kaw550
Rookie

Mine are also feathering. I bought it used and the dealer replaced two but are feathering as well. I read that rotating doesnt fix them once they are worn but I swear it helps to cross the front onto the back and move the front forward.

Quick Reply: How to relearn tire position