4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear end alignment after 4 inch lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM
rolltidehemi
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end alignment after 4 inch lift?

I am getting conflicting info from two different dealers service departments, one says you only need to align the front end of the truck and the other says that the front and back wheels have alignment adjustments that need to be done after the lift of a 4th gen.

What say you, the all knowing experience group on this forum?

And I'm not curbing him either!

Old 01-28-2012, 02:40 PM
cpelton
Veteran

Originally Posted by rolltidehemi
I am getting conflicting info from two different dealers service departments, one says you only need to align the front end of the truck and the other says that the front and back wheels have alignment adjustments that need to be done after the lift of a 4th gen.

What say you, the all knowing experience group on this forum?

And I'm not curbing him either!
Negative! There is no rear end alignment, but having the front done is a must.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:17 PM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong, but any place you got to to have an alignment done is going to check all for anyway. At least that's what I've seen done at every shop I've either seen/had one done at.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:24 AM
frogslinger
Captain

Originally Posted by Eric99ram
As far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong, but any place you got to to have an alignment done is going to check all for anyway. At least that's what I've seen done at every shop I've either seen/had one done at.
You cannot really align a live axle... the wheels are bolted to a solid bar, so changing camber and castor and toe in is not possible. All that can be done is checking drive force. What this does is check that that average of the direction that the two rear wheels point in is parallel to the center line of the vehicle.

Or to put it even more simply... you cannot align the rear end, you can just make sure the truck is not crabbing.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 AM
rolltidehemi
Captain

You confirmed my knowledge and suspicions, thanks! I talked to the on line help at RCX and the guy said as long as the track bar is installed properly, well I've looked and don't see any adjustments to throw it off, simple set up in my book, I was scratching my head with the dealer on this one, 59 for the front and a 100 for both, really!
Was gonna just do the front anyway.

Quick Reply: rear end alignment after 4 inch lift?