4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radar Detector Hard Wiring ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:05 PM
skyjockey
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Detector Hard Wiring ??

Did a search and didn't see all the info I was looking for so I'll throw this out to the experts.

I have a 2012 Express, no overhead console, no power mirror, no floor center console so there is no "power" available in the roof that I can see.

I bought a Blend Mount to attach my 8500 x50 to the RV Mirror. I will run the wiring along the headliner to the A pillar.
1) Any tricks to remove the A-pillar cover?
2) When I get the wire down under the dash area where is a good place to tap a switched 12v source?
3) Is there a fuse box INSIDE the cab or is everything under the hood?

In my readings of other threads, seems like these truck are fussy as to where you tap acc into the wiring? I work in electronics so tools and soldering aren't an issue. Just rather ask first vs fix my mistakes later

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:16 PM
TurboCup87

I used a fuse tap into the fuse box in the engine compartment. Don't recall which circuit, but it is a switched circuit. The A pillar cover comes off easily once you remove the 2 screws for the assist handle. I ran my wire over the cowl near the A pillar. It's all quite basic if you've done any RD installations previously. Kyle

Old 07-21-2012, 06:44 PM
skyjockey
Rookie

new questions:
1) does the A-pillar in the '12 have an airbag to be concerned about before pulling it apart?
2) In-dash switched power outlet. The one on the drivers side is switched to the ACC setting but not the RUN setting I can live with that but how do you get that trim panel off to get at the back of it?

I got the knee panel of from under the steering wheel but can't reach the power outlet. The pass side I got the glovebox door off and can reach that side plug but it is always hot.

My next idea is to run a wire thru the door and hook into the power windows circuit?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:22 PM
TurboCup87

Fuse tap from the fuse box is easy. I passed the wire into the passenger comp thru a grommet that was present.

A pillar airbag is a non issue. Run the wire up to the headliner. If your airbag goes off, the wire is the least of your worries.

Quick Reply: Radar Detector Hard Wiring ??