4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans power flush service - good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trans power flush service - good or bad

It's been kind of quiet here lately so I figured I'd start a little friendly discussion regarding the transmission service fluid change using the power flush method. I know there are many opinions but I'll just write down that my dodge dealer (one of the largest in the west coast) recommends the flush. I know that the filter is not changed out but they recommended that the filter change be done the next service and besides the service writer (pretty knowledgeable and didn't try to up sell) said that the filter gets cleaned in the process (seems kind of BS to me). I had the complete fluid exchange done last Saturday. If anything goes wrong with the tranny, the lifetime warranty is still valid due to the selling dealer doing the work. Another thing, at 24k miles, the pan had a leak so they took the pan off and cleaned it out and replaced 8 quarts of fluid per the work order. Now at 40k miles, the complete flush and when I get to 60k, I'll do the service required filter change and trans service.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:59 PM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you would be hard pressed to actually find a "flush" machine any more. They used to reverse flush transmissions until it bacame apparent that was a bad idea. What they do is a fluid replacement and even if you drop the pan and change the filter you still need to hook it up to a machine or leave 2/3 of the old fluid in the trans.

I let the dealer do the service, so if they decide that they don't need to replace the filter - fine with me.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Huntjunkie41
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it done at 36K. It did not make any noticeable change in the shifting. It does however keep your warranty in affect if the tranny craps out. The transmission in my jeep went at 54K. I never got the flush done so the dealership was not going to repair it under warranty. They finally caved and fixed it. I just do not want to be in that position again. $2500.00 would have been a lot to pay out and no rental car either.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by oldjeep
I think you would be hard pressed to actually find a "flush" machine any more. They used to reverse flush transmissions until it bacame apparent that was a bad idea. What they do is a fluid replacement and even if you drop the pan and change the filter you still need to hook it up to a machine or leave 2/3 of the old fluid in the trans.

I let the dealer do the service, so if they decide that they don't need to replace the filter - fine with me.
I wasn't able to watch them do it because the dealer is one of those that keeps the customers away from the service area, which I hate. The work order does say power flush but I agree that hey probably just did the exchange as I could see that they disconnected the lines to the trans cooler.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:51 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

Big difference between FLUSH and a EXCHANGE. Dealer or independent I ask and go in to the bay where my vehicle is a meet tech,watch etc. I have sold and handled literary thousands of fliud EXCHANGES before I retired and use it on my own vehicles. Best thing to happen to a auto transmission since sliced bread. OLD fliud OUT. New fliud IN. Thats ALL it does. No harm to anything. I had lots of cutomers comment about improved shifting and smoother torque convertor lockup. All NEW fliud. It should if the old fliud is done in.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:43 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
It's been kind of quiet here lately so I figured I'd start a little friendly discussion regarding the transmission service fluid change using the power flush method. I know there are many opinions but I'll just write down that my dodge dealer (one of the largest in the west coast) recommends the flush. I know that the filter is not changed out but they recommended that the filter change be done the next service and besides the service writer (pretty knowledgeable and didn't try to up sell) said that the filter gets cleaned in the process (seems kind of BS to me). I had the complete fluid exchange done last Saturday. If anything goes wrong with the tranny, the lifetime warranty is still valid due to the selling dealer doing the work. Another thing, at 24k miles, the pan had a leak so they took the pan off and cleaned it out and replaced 8 quarts of fluid per the work order. Now at 40k miles, the complete flush and when I get to 60k, I'll do the service required filter change and trans service.
This is incorrect. The fluid flows through the filter in the same manner as it would normally when driving. The transmission pump is what pushes all the fluid through the lines and at the same time draws in the new fluid from the tank reseviour from the machine. They hook up to the top trans line of the radiator. ANy fluid that gets drawn through the screen, allows the screen to filter out and retain any sediment that may be in the fluid. This stays with the screen.

Right, and is why trans flushes got a bad wrap, for a ridiculous service. This takes all the sediment and particulates the filter has held onto and forces them through the lines and out the trans. This eaves lots of problems for particulates to get stuck in valves, solonoids..etc Its the same thing as putting compressed air on the backside of your airfilter to blow all the crap out.
I've worked for 3 different dealerships, while it has been 10yrs, they all had fluid exchangers. So did the Valvoline and Quicklube my cousin has worked at. No powerflushers.

I have written a quick How'to that is a safe and very effective fluid exchange! The transmission pumps out the old fluid and you pour in the new. Non-invasive and no dangerous side-effects. DIY Trans Flush

While the filters are reccomended at 100kmi intervals, the best scenario is to drop the pan and change the filter out. Any new fluid poured in to push old fluid out will go through new screen. New fluid has no particles for the new screen so there's no concern there.

Last edited by dirtydog; 05-19-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: link
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I have written a quick How'to that is a safe and very effective fluid exchange! The transmission pumps out the old fluid and you pour in the new. Non-invasive and no dangerous side-effects. DIY Trans Flush
Not worth the hassle for me. For a fluid change every 60K, I'll pay the dealer the $200.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:22 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Not worth the hassle for me. For a fluid change every 60K, I'll pay the dealer the $200.
I wasn't exactly asking for what was convenient for anyone, just that I made a DIY for those that are interested. That's what DIY's are all about.... It takes me less time to do a complete flush and filter change than it does in travel time to the local dealer. That means no waiting in the service dept...etc Plus I know it's done correctly.
Letting the dealer do just the flush without filter change for $200 is reasonable since fluid alone is $115, but you do need to do the filter by the 2nd interval(100kmi)
Pretty sure it says so in the manual, I'd do it anyways because filters do clog and don't last forever regardles how often you flush your fluid.
Do what you like as it's your vehicle. Atleast your flushing the fluid where as others decide not to because they are afraid and simply wait for something to break...doh...

Old 05-19-2012, 10:25 AM
hounddogg
Record Breaker

A chevy dealer that specializes in vettes does my vette for $129.95 and thats with Dexron 6 which is somewhat high dollar. The Dodge dealer near muy house is $100 bucks more. I take my Dodge and other cars to the tire store nearby. I bring the fliud and they charge me $35 bucks to hook them to a BG fliud exchange machine.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hounddogg
A chevy dealer that specializes in vettes does my vette for $129.95 and thats with Dexron 6 which is somewhat high dollar.
What year is your vette? My '02 has the trans in the back and has no fluid cooler. How do they attach the machine?

On my truck, the cost was $150 out the door, so I couldn't pass it up since the truck takes 17 quarts and uses at least 18 for the exchange. The price of the Chrysler ATF is like $8 a quart (18 x 8 = $144). The dealer had a $144.99 special going and since they use bulk ATF, they still made money. Another interesting thing about the Chrysler brand ATF, it says that it's a "life fill" right on the bottle.

Quick Reply: Trans power flush service - good or bad