4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

** Uconnect problems **

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:36 PM
rippingviper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ** Uconnect problems **

Hey i'm new to this forum been searching but cant seem to find anything on the uconnect. I have a 2012 dodge ram sport 5.7L which came with a pretty basic stereo but has UConnect. I start the truck and the uconnect turns itself on and starts talking over and over again I cant shut it off. I turn the radio off and the volume and then it comes and turns itself on and the radio up , it keeps talking then says update with a usb stick etc over and over and its very annoying. only way to stop it is to pull the fuse to the radio!

I'm hoping that someone has heard of this and might have some insite what to do. I'm only home on weekends and unfortunately my dealers don't have techs on weekends!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:01 PM
12Sport
Professional

I can't say I've heard of this but it sounds like it'll have to be taken to the dealership and have it updated. Since the truck is fairly new and under warranty talk to the dealer you purchased it from and see if you can get a loaner while your truck is left at the shop.

The truck is full of electronics and electronics can go weird sometimes and on occasion I've been able to 'fix' them by simply disconnecting the battery for say a half an hour, reconnect and see what happens. Kind of a re-boot I guess. Sometimes it works.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:07 PM
rippingviper

I just picked the truck up yesterday I had to pull the radio fuse to shut up the uconnect i'd shut it off then 10 seconds later it would turn itself on and turn up the volume. Made it impossible to do anything then asked to insert some usb stick with an update it was stupid so i just pulled the fuse. The truck was literally built end of june. I just bought it yesterday and its already pissed me off. I pulled the fuse for 10 min.. put it back in it was fine for about 10 min listening to my sirius then all of a sudden it started its possessed bout all over again so I just left the fuse out after that. I'll take it to the dealer when I have time but that might be a while.

I was hoping someone might have a fix for this. I can't seem to find a USB port anywhere. Not even in the glove box like my manual says. I guess its just a basic model of a stereo. Just has a few **** and buttons. No fancy stuff.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:22 PM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is she asking for a USB storage device .......?
If so then I can help you with this issue. I have the SW update for this issue. The update for it is quite simple and I can getyou the file & instructions for it. The dealers don't have this update yet.

Originally Posted by rippingviper
I just picked the truck up yesterday I had to pull the radio fuse to shut up the uconnect i'd shut it off then 10 seconds later it would turn itself on and turn up the volume. Made it impossible to do anything then asked to insert some usb stick with an update it was stupid so i just pulled the fuse. The truck was literally built end of june. I just bought it yesterday and its already pissed me off. I pulled the fuse for 10 min.. put it back in it was fine for about 10 min listening to my sirius then all of a sudden it started its possessed bout all over again so I just left the fuse out after that. I'll take it to the dealer when I have time but that might be a while.

I was hoping someone might have a fix for this. I can't seem to find a USB port anywhere. Not even in the glove box like my manual says. I guess its just a basic model of a stereo. Just has a few **** and buttons. No fancy stuff.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:33 AM
thiggins
Professional

It should be called "UN-connect" !

Old 08-06-2012, 07:38 AM
xsdbs
Captain

well, that was real helpful.

Originally Posted by thiggins
It should be called "UN-connect" !

Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 AM
thiggins
Professional

Sorry, but I've found Uconnect to be very unreliable and cantankerous.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:56 PM
xsdbs
Captain

I don't know about that. I have been using my system for over 2 years now and have tried many phones with no issues. Sure it's not perfect but then neither is anyother car kit or most electronics hands free or not. You didn't mention what radio you have or the issues you're having with the phone. Not every phone is perfect either so it's possible that your issue can be linked to the phone. It appears that you have a 2010 vehicle, maybe the features that you're looking for are not supported by that year system, as we know the phones are more advanced than they were a couple years ago.

If you'd like to ask a question that's fine and we'll try to assist you.

Originally Posted by thiggins
Sorry, but I've found Uconnect to be very unreliable and cantankerous.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:12 PM
rippingviper

It does ask for a USB device for an update at some point but it keeps repeating itself over and over at different spots its like its a broken record and skipping. It'll cut off halfway thru a sentence put the radio back on then 2 seconds later re-activate saying to restore the uconnect to its default settings press the button or say 1-2-3 blah blah blah. its annoying. Its got a mind of its own. I can't even listen to radio cd nothing. And i looked for a USB port anywhere in the truck and cant locate one. checked glove box under the dash everywhere. As I said this truck was literally just built a month ago from the factory according to the VIN and stickers. IDK but this is my first dodge and its not a leaving a good impression.

I dont even have a phone synced to the truck at all either so this is mind boggling. I took tomorrow off so i'll drive it over to the dealer but If they don't have said update idk what to do. its like the thing is shorted out.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:28 PM
xsdbs
Captain

They will most likely replace the module however if they just replace the module, there's a chance that the same issue will occur. If you'd like, I can help and you won't have to spend the day at the dealer. The update is as simple as loading it onto a flash drive and run it on the system.
The link for this update is:
http://www.mediafire.com/?g31sjt4ca0o72s9

once you have downloaded it to the thumb drive, please rename it to:
uconnect.upn

Here's the instructions:
If you have files on the thumb drive, please delete them and format the drive (to FAT32) just to make sure that it is completely clean
Download it to the thumb drive that has no other files on it. Once it is downloaded to the thumb drive, please rename it so the file is uconnect.upd (basically delete everything up to Uconnect.upd).
Turn the radio on, Place the thumb drive in the center console USB connector (on vehicles with the dealer installed unit, it should be in the glove box), press and hold the Uconnect button for about 12 - 15 seconds, you should here "update started". This process should take about 15 - 20 minutes, there will be some beeps during the process. Please listen during the update for any error message that may be said by Uconnect. When the update is completed, the radio screen will go back to a radio display. Let me know how this works out for you.
PS** you'll know that the update took by pressing the Uconnect button and saying "setup, software update" the SW version will be 63.2.48 D6 (before the update it would say 63.2.48 D2)

Originally Posted by rippingviper
It does ask for a USB device for an update at some point but it keeps repeating itself over and over at different spots its like its a broken record and skipping. It'll cut off halfway thru a sentence put the radio back on then 2 seconds later re-activate saying to restore the uconnect to its default settings press the button or say 1-2-3 blah blah blah. its annoying. Its got a mind of its own. I can't even listen to radio cd nothing. And i looked for a USB port anywhere in the truck and cant locate one. checked glove box under the dash everywhere. As I said this truck was literally just built a month ago from the factory according to the VIN and stickers. IDK but this is my first dodge and its not a leaving a good impression.

I dont even have a phone synced to the truck at all either so this is mind boggling. I took tomorrow off so i'll drive it over to the dealer but If they don't have said update idk what to do. its like the thing is shorted out.

Quick Reply: ** Uconnect problems **