4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3.7L coil pack removal problems

Old 08-18-2012, 06:44 PM
ictsean
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.7L coil pack removal problems

OK wow.. I must be lame.. but I am having a heck of a time removing the coil packs on my 09' 3.7L RAM to change the plugs. They have a bolt that goes through the pack instead of a stud and nut (like is found on the 3.7L Liberty).. somewhere under the composit intake I think there is something like another nut that is just turning and turning and not allowing the bolt to be pulled all of the way out of the coil pack. I am getting really aggrevated... and I cannot find any information anywhere addressing this replacement. lots of info on the liberty.. but nothing on the Ram version.

anyone done this job? help.. I am out of patience.. and I cannot see paying the dealer 100-150 bucks labor to do this, what should be reletively simple 35 minute job

thanks

Sean

Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 PM
ictsean
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok... guess I didn't need your help afterall.. BUT here is something you might not know... especially if you have not worked on one like this...

I just said to myself "here goes nothing" ... and gave it a huge YANK upward... my knuckles only hurt for a little while.. BUT it did come up and out..

The bolt has a sleeve type of washer that stays on it.. and at the bottom of that sleeve washer, the metal is flared out from being compressed. So it really drags on the composite manifold holes.

So there you go.. just give it a yank and get your wife to kiss it better when you are done.

Sean

Old 04-22-2018, 01:30 PM
Zachary Joseph
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new coils

Did you have any issues getting the new coil studs back in? I'm having trouble getting the threads to grab.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3.7L coil pack removal problems