4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

very hard and stiff steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 12:38 AM
Dodgergirl27
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very hard and stiff steering

Hi there dodge lovers. I need help. My steering on my 2013 dodge ram goes very hard and stiff to steer on a regular basis now. It does come and go and have had 3 mechanics look at (incl dodge dealer) and no one can figure it out. My truck has no power steering fluid. I just bought my baby in March of this year and it has had this problem from day 1. The *** that sold me the truck promised me he would fix it, but he did not. It is getting worse over the past few days. any ideas please.
As well, tonight coming home from darts, my truck would not go into D, it went straight to 4th gear?? would these 2 issues be related?

thank you

Old 04-30-2017, 06:43 PM
WELSHENTERPRISE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Steering Stiff

I have a '02 Durango SLT Plus 4x4. The other day I was on the highway when my Wheel start to shake. I pull over and checked notice a small fire. Liter of soda took care of that. With the wheel tilting. I noticed the low ball joint nut was loose. Well had it towed. When I get it up on the jack. The wheel hub assembly was shakable. CV boot was melted. Tooked the wheel hub assembly off and it fell to pieces in my hands. So I replaced the following, CV axle, brake pads and the wheel hub assembly. Tieten the low ball joint nut, new cotter pin. everything else looked good. Put it all back together. Now I have a stiff steering wheel. No noise or vibration. But the steering wheel has about 50% power loss. Something strange though, when turning the wheel it pulses. 50% to 65% and repeats in both directions. Checked the power steering pump, hoses and reservoir. All seems fine. Help confused.