4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Fan Power Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 AM
wwillf01
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fan Power Question?

So I have a 2011 Ram 1500 ST supercharged... Is there a way to hook up the transmission cooler fan to a constant power source? So when the vehicle turns on in can turn on... Currently it is hooked up to the Radiator low fan fuse but the transmission gets hotter faster than the engine over time do to the supercharger than the engine... So by the time the engine fan turns on it is to late.. Or if there is a better way to do it than all of the above let me know.. Thanks for your help..

Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does the supercharger cause the trans to heat up? More likely you have installed some sort of tuner which is screwing with the transmission program.

In any event - if you can find the wire, I'd consider installing a temp switch in the trans cooler and use that as a secondary trigger for the fan rather than hardwiring the fan on all the time.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM
wwillf01
Amateur

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Why does the supercharger cause the trans to heat up? More likely you have installed some sort of tuner which is screwing with the transmission program.

In any event - if you can find the wire, I'd consider installing a temp switch in the trans cooler and use that as a secondary trigger for the fan rather than hardwiring the fan on all the time.

So it is a flexilight 10x14 and it has a temp gauge in it.... where would you wire it to cause the secondary trigger?.... the trans heats up mostly when towing the camper.... Without the transmission reprogrammed heat was a real issue with the oem program..... The ats controller helped this considerably..

Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM
oldjeep
Champion

You would install a trans temp switch in the trans cooler and then wire the switch up in parallel with the stock fan switch.

Or are you saying that you already have installed a secondary trans cooler too? If so, then how did you install it in relation to the stock cooler?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM
wwillf01
Amateur

You would install a trans temp switch in the trans cooler and then wire the switch up in parallel with the stock fan switch.

Or are you saying that you already have installed a secondary trans cooler too? If so, then how did you install it in relation to the stock cooler?

So it is currently connect to the fuse that is marked for the rad low fan.... Is this the one you recommend? I only have one trans coller installed the flexilite replaced the oem.... So I have a ground that is ran and then a power cable.... You are saying I should have a 3rd if there is a trans temp switch? Thanks for the help....

Old 06-25-2013, 11:52 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by wwillf01
So it is currently connect to the fuse that is marked for the rad low fan.... Is this the one you recommend? I only have one trans coller installed the flexilite replaced the oem.... So I have a ground that is ran and then a power cable.... You are saying I should have a 3rd if there is a trans temp switch? Thanks for the help....

I'm lost now as far as what you have hooked up. Maybe draw a picture of your wiring.

Typically you add an accessory cooler after the oem, not replace a perfectly good trans cooler completely. Is that what flexlite recommended?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:56 AM
wwillf01
Amateur

I'm lost now as far as what you have hooked up. Maybe draw a picture of your wiring.

Typically you add an accessory cooler after the oem, not replace a perfectly good trans cooler completely. Is that what flexlite recommended?

I had it installed by a shop that I have lost total faith in at this point..... They did bypass the current cooler and ran it to the flexilite. So you are saying they should have just ran it in line so you would have both working for you?

Old 06-25-2013, 11:57 AM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by wwillf01
I had it installed by a shop that I have lost total faith in at this point..... They did bypass the current cooler and ran it to the flexilite. So you are saying they should have just ran it in line so you would have both working for you?
That would be the normal thing to do.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
wwillf01
Amateur

That would be the normal thing to do.

Thanks I will talk to them......

Quick Reply: Transmission Fan Power Question?