4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Borla Exhaust for my 2009 Ram 1500 SLT

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 11:33 AM
brianandbosko
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borla Exhaust for my 2009 Ram 1500 SLT

I just bought a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 that I'm looking at puting a Borla Catback Exhaust part #140308 on it. My questions are these...

1.) Does anyone have this system on there truck, and how does it sound with the MDS system? I've heard that it is the only model that they make for the 2009 and that its one of their more mellow sounding exhausts but that you can really hear it when you get on it. But, you will also hear a difference when the MDS system kicks in as well.

2.) Have you notice any increase in performance?

3.) I'm also looking at putting in a cold air intake in it as well. Any suggestions? Im looking at K&N or the Mopar CAI.

4.) Does anyone have any video clips of there dodge with this system?

Thanks for your input!

Old 10-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Doc Fluty
Banned

i have a video somewhere on here of my truck with a borla.

no increase in performance... and i recommend the Mopar intake

Old 10-12-2010, 12:18 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

I don't have a Ram with the MSD system but i got a Borla Exhaust on my 4.7L Dakota.

Low rumble and idle but at open throttle is like "GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY" loud.

Here is a clip..

Old 10-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Swiftks
Rookie

I have a Borla Turbo XL Muffler (part #400241) on my 5.7 SLT w/ no resonators, and pipes dumping out by rear axle. I currently have my MDS disabled, but before I disabled it, I had it with the exhaust for a month or more. To tell you the truth, it really didn't sound horrible when the MDS did kick in. Don't get me wrong, yes, I could tell when it kicked in... it wasn't quite as deep, but it didn't sound like a rice rocket or anything; so I wouldn't worry. If you throw a Borla catback system on their as well, I think it would only sound that much better. The muffler alone gives a nice deep rumble, without being overly obnoxious. Only reason I didn't go with the catback system to begin with is that I plan on getting the American Racing headers w/ catback system. Anyway, hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM
m5biemer
Amateur

I had the Borla catback on my Gen 3 Ram, loved it, no MDS drone as it was disabled with Superchips. Nice, mellow tone without being over obnoxious. Excellent build quality.

For my 2009, I considered the Borla but went the the Magnaflow catback for about $400 less. Sounds great and I'm very pleased so far. Compared to the Borla, has a bit of a deeper tone. No MDS drone as I have it disabled with Diablosport. Also, gotta love those 5" tips! Getting positive compliments from a lot of people.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:33 PM
gracing2000

WHat type exhaust do u guys recommend for my 09 ram 1500 , is it worth going with the mopar parts for warranty issues?

Old 11-26-2010, 11:34 PM
gracing2000

and what performance mods are recommended? i was thinkin mopar intake and exhaust along with the diablosport chip? any tips?

Old 11-27-2010, 03:09 AM
aaront

I've got the Borla that doc has and a volant CAI and couldn't be happier. I got the intake from autoanything and the borla from summit.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:29 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gracing2000
WHat type exhaust do u guys recommend for my 09 ram 1500 , is it worth going with the mopar parts for warranty issues?
Concerning an exhaust and intake, you really can't go wrong outside of cheap ebay intakes. As for the warranty. Heh. Should you have problems with your vehicle, the dealership cannot tell you that any modification that you have made to your vehicle voids a warranty with out explicit proof that your modification caused the malfunction. IE ball joints on a lifted truck would void a warranty. I can think of nothing that a muffler would do and or not do to null a warranty. Maybe if you did something really weird with the muffler placement and the heat melted something, but other than that, I have no clue.

As for tuning (Learn to edit your posts instead of double posting like that), it all depends on what you want. If you just want a canned tune such as a "tow" tune or Diablo's "93" tune, then the best bang for your buck would be SuperChips. If you think you'll want/need to get into custom tuning down the road, then you'll want to look at Diablo for a tuner. By needing/wanting custom tunes, I'm talking about heads, cam shafts, stroker kits, turbos/super chargers, and the like. For just an intake and a muffler, you really don't need a custom tune unless you're just really trying to eek out every little last piece of power you can get your hands on...

When it comes to a tuner though, be warned: Chrysler can tell if you've been tuned. Most will not say anything about it considering that these are gas motors, but there are cases where they have proved that a tuner has been installed and they can do it rather quickly. Of course, they are more concerned with chips on diesel motors right now, but the risk is indeed out there.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:40 PM
ridem high
Veteran

I had the Borla system on my 05 Daytona.It wasn't a loud muffler.At idle,the noise level was close to factory,but when throttled up,It had a nice,mellow tone.On my 09 CC,I have the AFE cat back system.This set-up is as close as your going to get without having straight pipes,and without the high gear droan.Very satisfied with AFE.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust for my 2009 Ram 1500 SLT