4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2011 1500 4x4: Gear Grind and Metaillic Moan Noises

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 PM
whitefeather.je
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 1500 4x4: Gear Grind and Metaillic Moan Noises

I am new to the whole forum thing but am hoping that I may be able to get some help with this. I do not have a shop in order to do the work myself and am relying on my local dealer but kinda have lost trust in them (mainly because in a recent service for this complaint, they failed to let me know about a recall for my truck on the rear end that leads me to believe that they didn't actually attempt to diagnose the problem). If this issue has been posted already, my apologies.

I have a 2011 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi, 9.25 rear end with about 8000 miles on it. While turning either right or left at slow/starting speeds (<5-10 mph), I hear a gear clacking sound come from the mid portion of the truck. This may or may not be accompanied with a moaning sound (similar to moving the truck with the emergency break on) coming from the rear. Both noises are sporadic with the moaning being more prevalent. I've checked and the emergency brake is released. The dealers diagnosis was that this noise is usual and expected with this truck. Several people I know with similar trucks do not have this problem.

Is this normal for this truck?

Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 PM
02Regcab
Professional

To put it simple
NO
This sound is not normal

Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 PM
whitefeather.je

Thank you for the confirmation. Now, back to another dealership.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:17 AM
AZdave
Professional

Where and when are you engaging 4WD or your getting the racket in 2WD around town?

Old 08-27-2013, 08:49 PM
whitefeather.je

My apologies for the delay in getting back to this.
The noise that I heard was while I was in 2WD. When I switched to 4WD it would still make the same noise but seemed to be muffled.
I have taken it to another dealership and they confirmed that the noise was in no way normal for any type of rear end. They removed the drive shaft and did some work to the rear end itself. It is unclear to me if this was just part of diagnosis or part of the repair, as I did not get full details on that part. They also added two containers of axle lubricant (part # 4318060AB) to the rear end only. No signs of leakage was noted. I was told to drive for 30 days to allow for the lubricant to work completely through the rear end. If the noise continued, I am to bring it back for additional service work. Since that day, the noises have not returned. If anything changes, I'll make an update to this thread.

Quick Reply: 2011 1500 4x4: Gear Grind and Metaillic Moan Noises