4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Diagnostic Guide
Print Wikipost

Automatic Transmission Fluid Change/Check Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:55 PM
not2clever
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic Transmission Fluid Change/Check Question

Team:

I changed my ATF yesterday which wasn't to bad of a task as there was a good write-up on this in the forum. However, I do have a question about checking the ATF and making sure it is at the correct level:

The owners manual (I have a 2010 Ram 1500 CC SLT Big Horn Hemi) says to check the ATF with the engine warm after driving at least 15 miles, cycle through the gears, ending in Park and check the ATF and the fluid should be betweem the marks for hot (180 degrees). So, I drive my truck and the hottest I can get the tranmission temp is 137 degrees (according to my vehicle information center). So the fluid is a little more than halfway between the cold and hot marks on the dipstick. Is this correct?

The manual does not recommend checking the ATF level when it is cold and they recommend it be checked at 70 degrees. I am at the lower mark between add and cold when the vehicle information center says transmission temp is at 70 degress. I just do not want to overfill and possibly damage my tranny.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 02-12-2012, 04:43 PM
ridem high
Veteran

Checking the transmission fluid level should be done at operating temperature.The transmission should be in park position,at idle.At operating temp,the fluid should strike the hot mark,and cold at start-up,should be right on the cold mark.If you check it while it is cold,and the fluid level is on the add mark,then add a little at a time,until it reaches the cold mark.Like you said,over filling will cause damage.Check again after your next trip out.Always use Mopar approved fluids............

Old 02-15-2012, 01:56 PM
OMALLEY808

Where did you find the DIY? I'm just about to do this on my 4th gen also!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:23 AM
not2clever
Amateur

My bad. Not sure if this is ok with the moderators, but I found pretty good instructions from a person at ramforumz. Here is the link: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=92056

Old 02-18-2012, 08:38 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a really dumb way to do a service - you leave at least half the old fluid in the trans.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:19 PM
not2clever
Amateur

I know the link is the traditional way and you may only get 1/3rd of the fluid changed, as most of the ATF is in the torque convertor, but I have heard there could be issues with a transmission flush and I am going to stick with the recommended method for the service. I have never had an issue with an automatic using this method when following the manufacturers suggested maintenance schedule.

Just my thoughts.

Dave

Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by not2clever
I know the link is the traditional way and you may only get 1/3rd of the fluid changed, as most of the ATF is in the torque convertor, but I have heard there could be issues with a transmission flush and I am going to stick with the recommended method for the service. I have never had an issue with an automatic using this method when following the manufacturers suggested maintenance schedule.

Just my thoughts.

Dave
Nobody does transmission flushes any more unless they are using ancient machines. A fluid replacement machine is what is used for a modern transmission fluid change. Replacing 1/2 of the old fluid is not the recommended method of any manufacturer, only clueless people on the internet.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM
huntergreen
Professional

old jeep, how would i know what machine is being used, old vs new? tks.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:01 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by huntergreen
old jeep, how would i know what machine is being used, old vs new? tks.
Any dealer or chain oil change place is going to have a fluid replacement machine. Best bet is the dealer, there always seems to be a coupon and you're guaranteed that they actually use the right fluid.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjeep
Any dealer or chain oil change place is going to have a fluid replacement machine. Best bet is the dealer, there always seems to be a coupon and you're guaranteed that they actually use the right fluid.
Agree with OJ, our trucks have a thermostat in line to the trans fluid cooler (I don't know what temp opens it) and I'd be concerned about some idiot at jiffy lube or Bubba's trans shop just hooking up the machine and not doing a good job. The dealer will cost more but if you only do this every 50-60 k miles it's worth it.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Fluid Change/Check Question