4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird Head Light Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:32 AM
nobby
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Head Light Problem

2010 RAM Sport.

When I bought the truck 2 years ago....the high beams did not work. No biggy....I could live with that considering it was diagnosed to the $800 TIPM.

Jump ahead to this summer....it was so dry and hot this summer that lo and behold the high beams started working again!
But I then lost the RH low beam....and my trailer lights would all blink when I used any turning signal.

Now that fall is upon us and we've had some rain and heavy dew mornings.....everything is working again! The only stored fault code is the RH low beam that was out for about 45 days.

Weird?

Old 09-30-2016, 12:06 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I often find corroded headlight sockets, and boat taillight sockets... take the lens off the trailer lights and check the sockets for corrosion... sand lightly all of the contacts, and protect with contact cleaner... do the same with the connectors to the headlight bulbs.

Get a can of DeOxit spray on amazon for better cleaning and protection of the sockets.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:44 PM
nobby
Professional

So...the full head light system worked perfectly for the past 6 months again!

Until 2 days ago.....the RH headlight assy went out, again.

Diagnosed to the harness.

The harness will get replaced while the truck is in, yet again, for a diff rebuild.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:20 PM
rsdata
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I once traced a weird headlight/marker light problem on an old RV at a campground for an older fella to a broken wire on the headlight harness and corroded contacts. He had taken it to a dealership and was told they needed to rewire the entire light harness in the engine compartment and quoted him $2000 plus parts. Considering the rig was 20 years old he walked away and vowed to only drive during the daylight hours.

I pulled the headlight socket on the left headlight and it was all corroded, so cleaned it up with his wife's nail file and put back on... some lights started to work, but not all. I started to pull the left socket and a wire fell off in my hand... corroded in the socket. Cleaned it up and reattached and all headlights and turn signals started to work. That man was so happy he wanted to adopt me. Bought me an expensive bottle of bourbon wrapped in a $100 bill and left it for me when he left the campground a couple of days later.

You have to have a loose socket or wire somewhere in that harness. Hopefully by shaking the wires/connectors you can get it to fail.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:10 PM
nobby
Professional

Originally Posted by rsdata
Hopefully by shaking the wires/connectors you can get it to fail.
Oh it has failed already....for the 3rd time.
Comes and goes over LONG periods of time.
Apparently the harness to the right headlight assy is and has been an issue for RAM.

We'll see.

Thank you for the reply.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:38 AM
nobby
Professional

New wiring harness to the right hand head light assy. solved the problem.

For now....

Quick Reply: Weird Head Light Problem