4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Ram fifth wheel hitch

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:16 PM
mdonaven
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ram fifth wheel hitch

I just bought a new 2014 Ram 2500 to pull my existing 5th wheel camper. The thing is basically loaded (Longhorn edition), but I was not aware of the 5th Wheel prep package, which is not on it. I was clear with the dealership what I needed the truck for, but they never mentioned anything. They even removed my existing rails from my old truck. Now I am trying to find out how to install my existing hitch in this new truck.
Without the 5th Wheel prep package, is there a way to use the picture frame hitch setup in my truck, if so what will I need. If not, what are my other options in installing my hitch on my truck?

Old 02-14-2014, 12:41 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF. Will move you to the correct spot.

For future reference:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Old 02-16-2014, 07:19 PM
kayakman
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi mdonaven. I own a 1500 - 2012 Outdoorsman, equipped with all the towing options. As far as I know only the 2500 and 3500 have a 5th wheel prep kit. You didn't say what size box you have, but from myself going from a 1998 quad cab 6'-6'' box to a 2012 - 1500 quad cab with a 6'-4'' box, you might want to think of a slider of some kind. Whether you have a 5'-7'' or 6'-4'' you'll need something other than a standard 5th wheel hitch. With my old hitch I could not even get out of the driveway.

I think you might want to consider the proper brackets for your new rig. I know it's $$ but I think you would want the best for your truck

One great site for info is E-trailer, they can help you. http://www.etrailer.com/5w-2014_Dodge_Ram+Pickup.htm
I went for the superglider 5th wheel hitch
or get an adapter pin box so that your 5th wheel will rotate under the 5ver. Like this one

Either one will do the trick.I tow a 27ft 5ver. Been towing 5th wheels since 1990...Happy towing

Cheers
Kayakman

Quick Reply: Ram fifth wheel hitch