4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cold start lifter noise

Old 06-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Daral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy cold start lifter noise

I have a new 2014 Ram 5.7 hemi. It sat for 6 or 7 days in late May. When I started it on May 31 it sounded like every lifter in it was coming out through the hood. It rattled loudly for 20 - 30 seconds. I am presently experimenting by letting it sit for 1 day, then 2 days, then 3 days, till I get the noise. I have not heard the noise after sitting for 1, 2, 3, days. next start day is June 10. I am recording each start up. The truck has a whole 440 miles on it, bought on April 4 2014. No one i have talked to, including the dealer has let a truck sit that long to compare. I had them start a brand new one that had been sitting over a week and it was like mine at 0 miles; no abnormal noises. Any one else had this issue this severe or heard of one??? I have three OLD cars 1956-70 and even the motors with over 100,000 miles don't do this. (they are chevy and ford motors). Is there a possibility it has crappy lifters in the mds cylinders that shut down and also, apparently the lifters bleed down for this system to work// Sorry this is so long but i wanted to cover all the bases.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:07 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

I will move your post to the 4th Gen Ram section.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 AM
ljinnc
Rookie

I've had a 2007 and a 2011 5.7 Hemi and the lifters in both would rattle sometimes. It's really pretty common for those engines even though it sounds bad. There is such a thing as a noise called "the hemi tick" and that was the only thing I didn't like about the Hemi.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:37 PM
LVRR
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MDS would have nothing to do with this.

It is a possibility the lifters could be bad but, that is on the fringe for such a new vehicle.

The most probable cause is a bad check valve in the oil filter that is letting the oil drain from the system.

The other possibility is the exhaust manifold, it may have developed an exhaust leak from a broken bolt. That would explain the 30 seconds 'til it went away, but this would happen every start up.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:01 PM
barry hanna

I noticed the same thing after the truck sat for seven days and after I had changed the oil to Mobil 1. My guess is that the oil drains out of the system over time and causes the ticking until the lifters get pumped up. BTW I have under 4,000 miles on my truck. Also, I wonder if Mobil 1 or any synthetic could be more susceptible to this than my previous dino oil. Even though they both carried the 5w-20 rating, the synthetics may be more prone to leak-down. This is only speculation on my part, but I have indelibly etched in my mind my first experience with Mobil 1 back in 1976 when I tried it in my Olds 98 and it ran through the engine like it was water. That is, until the engine had about 3 or 4 thousand miles under its belt with the synthetic, after that it was fine. I have used Mobil 1 since then in everything from Corvettes to Mercedes without a problem. Time will tell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cold start lifter noise