4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why can't they program my new Ram 2500 for larger tires??

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:17 PM
fletchman45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why can't they program my new Ram 2500 for larger tires??

Just got a new 13 Ram 2500 carryover in Copperhead pearl. Had a rough Country 5 inch lift installed along with wheels and tires etc and General Grabber 35 X 12.50 X17 inch tires. Took it to my local dealership who has programmed many Dodges for me in the past. But this time it was different after selecting the maximum largest factory tire size I got a ABS light and no speedo function and then a check engine light and then had to put back to stock to clear things up and of course the speedo is 6 mph off which is a pain. And I don't really like the fact the 3.73 geared truck is constantly shifting (6 speed auto) any resolve you guys know of and why coundn't they at least do as they have done before????????????

Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 AM
PETE_YK
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its a gasser then yeah 3.73 are gonna suck with the big tires. The reason they can't program for 35 inch tires is because the current chrysler diagnostic program (called Wi-tech) doesn't allow you to input just any size. all you can do is select the different sizes that are available from factory from a drop down menu.
I think the biggest you can select is 265/70r18 or something like that.
Get a programmer like superchips or diablo to program your tire size and set 'er on the 87 tune and call it a day.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Shortride
Rookie

All drivetrains are designed to perform within specific parameters. Horse Power, torque and fuel economy to mention a few. In order to do that the manufacturer must establish some limits as to the performance under given conditions. Over-size tires and wheels create more drag, excess weight and put more strain on parts that aren't designed for the stress of over-size tires and wheels so there has to be limits established.

Last edited by Shortride; 01-08-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PETE_YK
If its a gasser then yeah 3.73 are gonna suck with the big tires. The reason they can't program for 35 inch tires is because the current chrysler diagnostic program (called Wi-tech) doesn't allow you to input just any size. all you can do is select the different sizes that are available from factory from a drop down menu.
I think the biggest you can select is 265/70r18 or something like that.
Get a programmer like superchips or diablo to program your tire size and set 'er on the 87 tune and call it a day.
Superchips deosn't support 2013 yet.

DiabloSport does, but only with their higher end unit, Trinity.
http://www.diablosport.com/products/...l#content-tabs

You'll be able to do a lot more than just tire size changes with the Trinity!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:10 PM
citori13
Professional

Sorry to bring back an older thread, but I just got a 2014 Ram 1500 with a 4" lift and 35" tires which are throwing off my speedo. Do the tuners void the vehicles warrenty? And what would anyone suggest for the best tuner for a 2014 Ram, mainly a daily driver?

Old 06-15-2014, 06:38 AM
Shortride
Rookie

Originally Posted by citori13
Sorry to bring back an older thread, but I just got a 2014 Ram 1500 with a 4" lift and 35" tires which are throwing off my speedo. Do the tuners void the vehicles warrenty? And what would anyone suggest for the best tuner for a 2014 Ram, mainly a daily driver?
A tuner may not void or have an affect on your factory warranty as long as you don't have a problem with your truck that requires warranty repairs and the diagnoses can prove that the tuner contributed to the failure.

Keep in mine that manufacturers generally will take advantage of an opportunity to deny warranty coverage with the least amount of evidence that installation of after market accessories may have contributed to a failure.

Last edited by Shortride; 06-15-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:40 AM
War Horse
All Star

Superchips just released support for the 2013s with 8-speed tranny. I'd imagine 2014 support isn't far behind since the hardware is the same and software should be *******ly identical.

The tuner won't void your warranty, but I wouldn't take it into the dealership with a tune running active. I'm sure the computer would notice it, and the dealer might even make a note of it in the vehicle profile. Then the first serious issue you have and they'll immediately start blaming the tune for every single problem you have. "Oh, your rear tail light bulb is out? Must be from over tuning the truck! Not covered under your warranty."

I went around, and around, and around for 6 months with a dealership over a bad PCM on my 2009. They swore up and down that all the dash lights I was getting and ****ty performance was due to a aftermarket cold air intake. After bitching up a storm, I finally got them to give the truck to a senior tech and past the idiotic paper pushing service adviser. It took the tech less than an hour to figure out the issue and get it fixed.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:42 PM
citori13
Professional

What I don't understand is why do these tuners have the capability of changing tire size in the computer, but the dealers diagnostic program can't?

Old 07-19-2014, 04:05 PM
Dusty48
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by citori13
What I don't understand is why do these tuners have the capability of changing tire size in the computer, but the dealers diagnostic program can't?

Because most tuners do not actually change parameters. They fool the PCM.

Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 004200 miles.

Quick Reply: Why can't they program my new Ram 2500 for larger tires??