4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Dodge Ram 1500 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Parking sensor trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:13 AM
Jocce
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking sensor trouble...

I can't go to the dealer since we do not have any Ram Dealers here in Sweden, my Ram is imported since they don't sell them here.
Of course I can let my regular "Service guy" check it for me, but just wanted to take a quick look if it is something I might be able to fix by my self.
My Parking sensors on my 2010 Laramie have been woring / not working all winter, and now it seems like they have finally given up
The display says "Service Parking Sensors" or something like that. And they are not working.
My guess is some kind of corrosion or something from all the salt etc.
How easy is it to remove the sensors to see the connectors etc?
Any instructions?
Other ideas?

/Jocce

Old 03-09-2012, 08:50 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you been through any car washes? Mine screw up for a day or so after going through a car wash. I think the connections at the sensors in the bumper must get soaked. I doubt whether your sensors would be corroded.

They are fairly easy to get to. Just lie down under the bumper and you can see them from behind the bumper. You should be able to see their connectors and the wiring harness. A couple are pretty much down behind the hitch though. Worst case you can remove the rear bumper and have easier access to them.

Rob

Old 03-09-2012, 09:00 AM
Jocce
Professional

Nope. I wash the truck by my self (with high pressure though)..and that problem was earlier, like a day or so after washing it it was f-cked up.
But now the problem is permanent.

I'm thinking that the connections have been corroded or somethning.

Will have to lie down and have a look at it some day now to see if I can se the connections and maybe take them apart.

/Jocce

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
Have you been through any car washes? Mine screw up for a day or so after going through a car wash. I think the connections at the sensors in the bumper must get soaked. I doubt whether your sensors would be corroded.

They are fairly easy to get to. Just lie down under the bumper and you can see them from behind the bumper. You should be able to see their connectors and the wiring harness. A couple are pretty much down behind the hitch though. Worst case you can remove the rear bumper and have easier access to them.

Rob

Old 03-09-2012, 09:11 AM
bonza

My Ram is also imported (The Netherlands), just visit a local Chrysler dealership. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep use the same diagnostics equipment (Starscan / Witech).

They can readout the error codes of the PTS module (Parking sensors control unit). When mine stopped working it had error code B1296-12 (PTS Sensor 9-Circuit Short to Battery)

Replacing the defective shorted-out sensor solved the problem. The Chrysler dealership did also order the parts and replaced the sensor.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:13 AM
WNDERR
Veteran

And, when you do, put them back to gether with a healthy dose of dielectric grease.....

Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Jocce
Professional

Originally Posted by WNDERR
And, when you do, put them back to gether with a healthy dose of dielectric grease.....
And that is?

/Jocce

Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jocce
And that is?
/Jocce
It protects electrical connections.

Dielectric Grease

Rob

Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Jocce
Professional

Originally Posted by BigBlueEdge
It protects electrical connections.

Dielectric Grease

Rob

Ah, here in Sweden its called (translated) "Connection Spray" or "Connection Grease"

Think I have some in the garage somewhere

Thanxs!

/Jocce

Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
shieldsdb
Rookie

There was a recall on the sensors in the 09's, not sure about the 10's. The recall was issued sometime in 10 I think, so it may apply.

Had something to do with the exhaust causing moisture behind the bumper and causing the sensors to fail.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:14 PM
resq302

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie and I also have an intermittent issue with the back up sensors. Like others have said, primarily when I go through the car wash, it gets something wet an it shorts the system out with the dash showing the sensor switch "off" light on and the information showing on the cluster that the system is off. It also beeps once at me when I put it in reverse. Lately if I drive it in wet weather ( we just got 28" of snow in NJ) it does the same thing until it dries out and then works fine.

What was the typical issue with them? Water getting into the sensor and shorting it out? If so, I guess I'll try the di-electric grease that I have home. I was also thinking it could be an issue with water getting into the wiring harness and possibly shorting that out somewhere also. Man I hate electrical gremlins !

Quick Reply: Parking sensor trouble...