DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech-120/)
-   -   Difference with new air intake and performance chip? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/383088-difference-with-new-air-intake-and-performance-chip.html)

raminal 01-10-2015 09:18 PM

Difference with new air intake and performance chip?

2012 Ram 1500, 4.7L.
All stock. Bought used from dealer (elderly person had leased). Truck in immaculate condition and I've had about 12 fillups since I bought it and I'm happy to say I'm getting the estimated MPG (14) as if the truck was brand new.

Right now I'm looking to see if there are small things I can do to assist with a slightly better MPG. Is it even possible to go over the estimated MPG? Or are the upgrades I'm looking at better for trucks that are older and not running like they did new (like mine is)? Are these upgrades me just throwing money out the window?

My goal isn't to increase power and HP, it's more MPG and general truck care. I'm not concerned about gas prices, I just like to baby the truck a little.

I'm looking at installing a K&N 77-1529KP HighFlow Air Intake, and a Jet Performance Module Stage 1 90902. These two ok?

I know there are DIY air intakes for cheaper but I'm not into DIY enough so a K&N is fine, even though expensive. I've seen videos where it can improve MPG and I'm wondering if anyone here noticed slight MPG increases with a better air intake?

My big question though is about performance chips. They cost a lot!!! The Jet chip is listed as:
"STAGE 1 - For stock or mildly modified vehicles. Fuel and timing curves are modified for optimal performance and mileage using less expensive, lower octane fuels. Programming is designed to burn fuel at peak efficiency, which results in improved performance and mileage. Daily drivers can use lower cost regular fuel for potential mileage gains, but for optimal performance gains use of mid-grade or better is recommended."
I don't mind going up a fuel grade, that's fine, but can it really help? I've heard a lot of folks say they're crap and don't work, but I've also heard the odd story where people compare MPGs before and after and see a small difference.

If I can hit 16 MPG with these 2 upgrades, I'd be happy. Technically, it might take 4 years to make up the difference lol but I don't plan on selling any time soon.... So forum, what are the thoughts on adding a air intake and performance chip at once? Is the jet chip a decent one? I'd rather not get something that I can program or play with. I just want something tested, works, and is plug and play.

Thanks!

jkeaton 01-10-2015 09:45 PM

Cold air intake won't do a thing but make a cool sound. A tuner would be better than a chip. A light right foot is the best thing to improve gas mileage. Opening up the exhaust is money better spent.

NV290 01-10-2015 10:05 PM

Adding a K&N filter and/or a high flow intake on a stock engine will not offer any MPG improvements whatsoever. It is without question a waste of time and money. And it's a documented fact that a K&N filter does not filter better then paper so you will be letting more dirt into your engine anyhow.

A high flow filter/intake system is only going to help an engine that has had extensive modifications (High flow throttle body, ported heads, headers, high flow exhaust, computer tune, etc). The factory intake flows more air than the engine can use so putting a "high flow" intake system accomplishes nothing. Even on chassis dyno's the majority of these systems are only adding HP at wide open throttle and even then it's 3-5 HP which is not even enough to feel. These systems make the engine louder so many people believe that louder means more powerful. But it's just noise.

Speaking for the programmers, they can offer gains in MPG and power with minimal effort. However i am not familiar with what works best on a 4.7. Ill let someone else give some feedback.

jkeaton 01-10-2015 10:19 PM

I will add the superchips really woke the 4.7 up in my Dakota.

Johnn123 01-11-2015 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jkeaton (Post 3219485)
Cold air intake won't do a thing but make a cool sound. A tuner would be better than a chip. A light right foot is the best thing to improve gas mileage. Opening up the exhaust is money better spent.

This man is right on.

Arctodus 01-11-2015 12:36 PM

Agreed, those Jet chips are garbage. Get a superchips programmer and maybe an exhaust and you should be happy.

detwallace 01-11-2015 05:34 PM

My 2013 was getting 14 mpg and on a 4,000 mile vacation trip in which I towed a big trailer, I was disappointed. Upon my return I immediately got the Diablo In-Tune 1000 and now I get 17-20 mpg depending on how I drive. Recently I got 22 mpg on a trip through Kentucky. It runs like a scalded dog and I love it (I only wish I'd got it before my trip). Don't hesitate - you'll love it!

raminal 01-14-2015 02:31 AM

Thanks everyone! I'll avoid the filter and chip and look into a real tuner.

Thanks to everyone for saving me money! :)

dwaldmann 01-14-2015 08:24 AM

If fuel mileage is an obsession, there are a couple other things you can do.

Run your tires about 2 PSI over the general recommendation (assuming that's not more than the maximum rating of the tire...).

Get Low Rolling Resistance tires.

According to an article I read, wheel to wheel side steps smooth the airflow, reduce drag and add .5% or so MPG.

But, in agreement with an earlier poster, the biggest improvement is putting helium in your right shoe. To that end, a free flowing, but QUIET exhaust will not encourage you to get into it. I know that with my 5.7 and an 18" Magnaflow I just looove to press a little harder than is really necessary...