4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2013 dodger ram 1500, bottom of oil dipstick broke off in the pan

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Blueblaz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 dodger ram 1500, bottom of oil dipstick broke off in the pan

weird that approx 2 inches of the dipstick broke off. The part that you read is gone. what will that do if I start the truck. Would it stay on the bottom or would it cause problems.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:20 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wrong forum, this is for 2nd gen's.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

You want to be in the fourth gen ram section.

But, I would take great pains to get the end of the dipstick out of the oil pan, that way, you are SURE it won't be a problem.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:00 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

In theory, it should stay in the bottom of the pan, being as it would most likely sink. But there is also the possibility that it doesn't, or it gets thrown up, but still It shouldn't be picked up as it is too large to pass through the oil pickup screen. But again, there's a infinite number of possibilities that could happen.

I would not run it. Best thing to do is drop the pan and pull it out. When you drain the oil keep an eye on it as it could just perfectly come out with the flow of oil, not likely though.

Before dropping the pan, you could try draining the oil, and the getting a long flexible magnet in there and see if it can grab it and pull it to the oil drain hole. If you can get it that far, then try to fish it out of the hole with a magnet and a few small picks. Tidieous, but may say you from dropping the pan.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:20 PM
Blueblaz

Hi, Yes I realized it after I posted that it is in the wrong forums. Not my truck as mine is a 2003 and i automatically go directly to this forum when I log in.
Thanks to who moved me to the right forums, much appreciated.

I have been reading that the piece will drop to the bottom of the pan and most likely stay there and there is a chance it could dislodge and go up and may cause problems but that it is not likely unless the piece is still in the tube end or is larger than 3 inches. It is just weird that the end of the dipstick. The pan was replaced because it was rusting out (done by a dealer warranty item)

Thank you for the answers.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:52 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

It's not going anywhere. Some dipsticks are non magnetic. That sure is a bizarre thing to happen.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:28 PM
bluebeast1562
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree to drain the oil and use a long magnetic tool to try to fish it out.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Blueblaz

Well it turns out that they had the dealer replace the oil pan due to rust under warranty, They called the dealer and they dropped the pan and removed the piece and installed a new tube and oil stick free of charge.

Quick Reply: 2013 dodger ram 1500, bottom of oil dipstick broke off in the pan