4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Driveline shudder or vibration.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 06:12 PM
Wanderer1209
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Hancock
Hemrick, you are correct. I have the 8 spd as well. And, like you I started thinking about the possibility of this being some form of engine issue. I changed my plugs at about 100 grand, so I thought maybe there was a coil pack loose or something. Checked, and didn't find anything. Not throwing any codes or anything else either. Then I saw this transmission guy, and he showed me that the computer was picking up some slippage during the shuddering. Not cool. Of course, it was only at low rpm, so I could combat the issue by keeping the tow/haul feature on (which changes the shift points), or manually controlling the shifts, but I'm looking for root cause. Which leads me back to my first visit with the dealership. They said that they checked the fluid, and that it perfectly full, and that it looked great. Also said that my driveshaft was bad. ZERO thoughts on why they thought that (U joints, carrier bearing, slip yoke, etc...). In hindsight, it didn't sound right. So this morning, I decided to check the fluid myself, and found that I was almost 1/2 quart low. And it didn't look 'great'. I topped it off with recommended Mopar fluid and added a bit of 'Shudder Fixx' per a recommendation from my transmission guy. Results? No more shudder. I have a slight vibration at all speeds, which could be a tire (all tires are new though?). Anyway, I'm continuing to monitor, and I'll keep giving updates as they come in.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to put it all out there.
what fluid? Trans of rear end