4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New 2017 Ram 1500 CCBH 4X4 - not to happy

Old 05-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New 2017 Ram 1500 CCBH 4X4 - not to happy

Sold my 2009 1500 SLT CC 2WD with about 119k miles and replaced it with a 2017 1500 CC Big Horn 4X4. First week or so it was perfect, just loved the 8 speed and having 4X4 again. Took a trip to Yosemite NP and loved the drive. The MPGs were about the same as my old truck so I was happy.

Now the reason I'm unhappy. Truck was about 2 weeks old and after the trip had around 1100 miles on it. My neighbor, a retired mechanic and auto repair shop owner, came over and wanted to look at the truck. I fired it up for him and the drive train sounded like the lifters were dry for about 10 seconds, the first time I had heard the noise. I decided to pay attention and it continued to make the noise but for only about 3-5 seconds. I put on a different oil filter to see it the noise went away, it didn't. It makes the noise after sitting overnight and when it goes away, the truck drives like a dream.

I just dropped it off at the dealer for them to look at it, so I'm waiting on results in the next few days. The dealer was great about it and gave me a rental for 3 days. Nothing good can come out of this, if they claim it normal, I'll argue with them. If they need to do work on it,then they'll probably have to open up the engine on my brand new truck - not good!

Another thing, I just noticed in the paperwork they gave me, that prior to them selling me the truck, they had an inspection and then did a "metal repair, operation code 91JEZ". This was not disclosed to me at the time of sale. I will ask them about it when I go bak to return the rental.

Here I am with a truck I bought on April 2 with 26 miles and a month later it's in the shop.

Last edited by Pedro Dog; 05-03-2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Default Udate

Ok, so the dealer mechanic blamed the noise on the filter I installed and said that the Purolator filter I put on was causing the noise. I said the only reason I installed the filter was to see if the noise was caused by the factory filter. I said why would I put new filter on a truck that perfect. Anyway, they said that they had to put on an oem filter and do an oil change before they could troubleshoot. I said OK.

Just got home from the dealer and so far the truck was quiet this morning for the first cold start. We'll see.

The service dept was great, I got a 3 day rental and a good deal on the filter oil change. Also, at least now the truck is on record for my concerns.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Default still making lifter noise after sitting overnight

Well, the noise is intermittent and back. A couple of days ago it started really quiet after sitting all night. This morning, about 5 seconds of lifter noise then quiet. Runs great after it warms up and no cells. Left a message at the service advisers machine to let her know the noise is still there.

I guess I'll just drive it a while longer see where this goes. I understand the dealer can't fix it if they don't hear the noise.

I can't be the only one with this issue - anyone out there have this problem with less than 1600 miles on a new truck?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:57 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't find that code on any service bulletin or recall lists. I have no idea what it means. So, did the dealer say it was definitely lifter noise? If so, that would definitely points t to an oil starvation at start up-like a bad filter. If it's not overheating or throwing codes I wouldn't worry too much. You have 70,000 miles of no worries.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:04 AM
sottis
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Purolator is one of the best filters made - that mechanic is full of crap.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Default update 5/15/17

Truck is back at the dealer for the lifter noise/rattle. The mechanic said he would hate to tear into a new engine and it was very rare to have problems so soon. I said unless you can get me a new engine, to do whatever was needed to fix the problem. He told the service writer to open a STAR case and see what FCA says. I sure hope FCA says to order a new long block rather than take my engine apart. I am bummed, but what can I do? I've only made one payment and now this.

If they have to tear the engine apart, I will never trust the engine again. I will ask for some kind of compensation like maybe extending the power train warranty.

We have several long distance camping trips planned for the summer, starting in mid June. So everything is up in the air now.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Default update - Chrysler says rattle/lifter noise is normal

So finally got called by by dealer. Chrysler closed the STAR case saying that engine noise is normal for up to 30 seconds on startup. I know it's not, even my wife asked about it. I asked for consideration of extended power train warranty and they said no. So now, I get to drive my truck as it is and hope it blows up before the warranty expires. I will do oil samples every oil change and keep good records. Without a cell, they won't do a thing.

I probably will not keep the truck past the warranty, and trade it in for anything but a Chrysler. No wonder they have the worst reputation. I won't be shy about telling folks to stay away from FCA products.

It's a shame, my 2009 engine with 119k sounded better.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:07 AM
coldsteel
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever spoken to Brian at BND Automotive? He is an industrial chemist by trade and is a well-versed expert in all things HEMI. If you are concerned about the noise on startup, he can hook you up with custom-blended oil and fuel treatment to keep everything well lubed between run cycles.

http://bndautomotive.com/

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=355737

Old 06-02-2017, 03:56 AM
CHILLYPOND
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
Chrysler closed the STAR case saying that engine noise is normal for up to 30 seconds on startup.
"Normal" translated: FCA dos not want deal with the fact that many of its prestigious hemi engines are prone to cold start lifter clatter. Some, much worse than others. I got one of the worse ones. Sometimes it's fine, more frequently, the engine sounds like a bag of nuts'n bolts going around in a washing machine on startup. I've had friends give me the 'hole crap!' look when starting the beast. I explain to them that it's "normal" and they invariably tell me to get my meds adjusted. Notwithstanding, FCA should have fixed this ****! They haven't, and they probably won't because the percentage of vehicles affected is below their GAF factor. Sad...

Old 08-20-2017, 03:15 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Default update

Well, it seems the noise from the lifters is gone. I don't know what was causing it, maybe air in the oil passages? It's been a while since I've had any cold startup noise. So those of you that have the same symptoms, there is hope. BTW, I'm at 5,200 miles or so.

Search this Thread