4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2012 5.7 replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 01:36 PM
Bunner2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 5.7 replacement

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and am looking for a little insight. I have a 2012 ram 1500 with the 5.7. Recently, I got the P305 engine code and proceeded to do the ignition coil swap, new plugs, injector chain of proceedings. Unfortunately, the code did not follow the coil and upon a compression test, I had zero. I should also mention that between the injector replacement and the compression test I had also ended up with a Timing code on the same cylinder. With reading the issues online with possible lifters and valve springs, I took the valve cover off and noted that there is no movement on cylinder 5, indicating that the issue was camshaft/lifter related. Due to the labour required and the 217kms a truck that i plan on keeping for a long time, and the fear of where the filings may have gone in the engine, I am looking at just doing an engine swap over repair. I have narrowed my search down to two possible swaps. 2011 engine with just under 100kms, or a 2015 engine with under 60kms. Now I know that there are reported problems with the valve springs and lifters on these engines, from what I have read, but I have been told by local people that the 2015 had updated valve train components to help remedy this issue.
My question is, how much difference is there in the 2015 engine vs the 2012 as the 2015 comes as a complete engine. I plan on doing the swap myself and am just trying to enter this as prepared as i can. Looking for thoughts and suggestions on the direction i should go.

Appreciate any help you can offer on this!

Quick Reply: 2012 5.7 replacement