DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech-120/)
-   -   Puddle lights (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/411759-puddle-lights.html)

MoparFanatic21 02-16-2018 06:18 AM

Puddle lights

What triggers the puddle lights under the tow mirrors? I know the door being open/closed does and so does unlocking/locking the truck, but when you turn on the dome lights do the puddle lights also come on? Only asking this because I added a 4th gen Power, Heated, Memory, Power Fold Away, Turn Signal, Puddle Light, Memory mirror to my 01 Ram. Thanks guys I appreciate your time.
Austin

MoparFanatic21 02-18-2018 11:52 PM

Nobody?

SHO Rod 02-19-2018 08:01 AM

I'm pretty sure that turning on the dome lights will not illuminate the puddle lights, but I haven't gone out to my truck to confirm since I'd have to sit in the truck long enough for the lamps to time out, then turn on the dome lights. I know I have used the dome lights when driving down the road and I don't remember the puddle lights coming on with my 2014 Ram 1500. I only remember them coming one when opening the door and when unlocking the truck with the fob. I don't recall if they come on when the truck is shifted to park and the engine shut off as well (or only once the door is opened). I'm pretty sure they also turn on when I walk up to the truck and put my hand in the door handle, but I don't expect that your 2001 Ram has the proximity sensors.

-Rod

jkeaton 02-19-2018 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3379518)
What triggers the puddle lights under the tow mirrors? I know the door being open/closed does and so does unlocking/locking the truck, but when you turn on the dome lights do the puddle lights also come on? Only asking this because I added a 4th gen Power, Heated, Memory, Power Fold Away, Turn Signal, Puddle Light, Memory mirror to my 01 Ram. Thanks guys I appreciate your time.
Austin

Turn on your dome lights and see if the puddle lights come on.....If they turn on, the answer is yes. If they don't, the answer is no.

MoparFanatic21 02-19-2018 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by jkeaton (Post 3379985)
Turn on your dome lights and see if the puddle lights come on.....If they turn on, the answer is yes. If they don't, the answer is no.

The 01 never had the puddle lamps and since the mirrors are off a 4th gen I wanted to wire them up like the 4th gen trucks. Looks like I might have to just tap into the dome light circuit

jkeaton 02-19-2018 07:35 PM

You will if you want them to come on with your dome lamps.

MoparFanatic21 02-20-2018 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by jkeaton (Post 3380100)
You will if you want them to come on with your dome lamps.

I'm going to figure out how to not get them to come on then I turn on the dome lights. I just want then to come on when I open/close the door and when I unlock/lock my truck.

SHO Rod 02-20-2018 08:01 AM

This sounds like a good project for an Arduino. Do you have a wiring diagram for the anti-theft/security system as well as the door pin switches?

-Rod

jkeaton 02-20-2018 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3380143)
I'm going to figure out how to not get them to come on then I turn on the dome lights. I just want then to come on when I open/close the door and when I unlock/lock my truck.

That's going to be a tough one.

MoparFanatic21 02-20-2018 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by SHO Rod (Post 3380173)
This sounds like a good project for an Arduino. Do you have a wiring diagram for the anti-theft/security system as well as the door pin switches?

-Rod

For my 01 Ram yes