DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   4th Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech-120/)
-   -   Strange noise (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-tech/416067-strange-noise.html)

Jason Eaker 07-08-2018 09:50 AM

Strange noise

I have a 09 Laramie 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. When I’m driving down the road and the rpms go up I have a vibration or rattling noise. I can’t tell where it’s coming from?? When I pull my boat it’s louder. Any ideas?

SHO Rod 07-08-2018 10:46 AM

Welcome to the forum!

Could it be a misfire? How long has it been since you've checked the condition of the spark plugs and the rest of the ignition system?

-Rod

Jason Eaker 07-08-2018 10:51 AM

Rattle

I just had the plugs changed. But that’s all I had done. Truck has 117k on it. It almost sounds like a rattle under the truck like exhaust or something. I was kinda hoping that with this post someone else may have experienced the same thing.

outlawstorm 07-08-2018 02:12 PM

I had a rattle kinda like you are saying on my 09,,, turned out to be a baffle in the muffler got lose and caused it,,, Changed muffler and noise went away, Not saying its the same as yours, but its just a thought

Jason Eaker 07-08-2018 03:55 PM

Taking it to my mechanic next week. I’ll update when I find out. Thanks for all who responded!

SHO Rod 07-08-2018 08:53 PM

If you're not noticing a loss of power, then something loose inside the exhaust would make sense. It may be louder when towing the boat because the sound is reflecting off the boat back to you.

If you are also noticing a loss of power, then I'd suspect a misfire, especially since you just changed the spark plugs. I'm not sure if your 2009 is a coil on plug (CoP) or if it has plug wires, but a connection could be loose or damaged, or possibly one of the new spark plugs has a cracked insulator. Misfires are often more noticeable under a load (accelerating, hauling a load, etc.).

-Rod

Mike Sal 07-09-2018 01:21 PM

Is there a check engine light on? Take it by an Autozone & they will check if it has any codes. Pray it's a bad muffler and not the dreaded bad cam/lifter issue....

Ram316 07-18-2018 09:59 AM

I am curious if you got to the bottom of this, but this sounds like a u-joint. I had this problem with my last 2500 Diesel. Changed the u-joints and it was as smooth and quite as possible. Good chance they are going out.

Duso02 07-24-2018 09:30 AM

The first thing to check on rattles, noises, and vibes: is it speed related or rpm related? In other words, does it always happen at a certain speed or certain rpm. If RPM, check the engine and exhaust. Usually, it's exhaust. Even an external heat baffle that's loose will vibrate at a certain rpm. Speed-related will be drivetrain, suspension, and wheel bearings and such.

cjames1173 04-23-2019 06:40 AM

I'm having the same noise on my 2012 1500 SLT 4.7, Based on where I think the noise is coming from I'd agree it's exhaust related. Its a rattle at certain RPMS at low speed, does that describe your problem as well? IF SO, did you pinpoint it yet?
I also noticed that when I'm towing my boom lift (5070lbs) its very pronounced going uphill from a stop sign for instance. I'm replacing upper plugs today so we'll see if misfire is possible.