4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Key Fob. Wont unlock doors or Start Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:47 PM
David Aldridge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Key Fob. Wont unlock doors or Start Truck

So I've been having this issue for a while now and I've gotten to the point that it's starting to aggravate me. I don't remember when it first started but every now and then my key fob wont lock or unlock my doors. So I have to use the valet key to unlock it. Most times I put the key in the ignition and it starts working again. Until i tried it this last time and it wouldn't turn off the alarm or try to start the truck. It's a brand new key fob and its happend on my old one too. Anyone have suggestions on what could be the issue? I've read it could be a ECU error but idk. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:43 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you changed the battery in the fob? If you have, it could need reprogrammed.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:15 AM
David Aldridge

Originally Posted by ZEN357
Have you changed the battery in the fob? If you have, it could need reprogrammed.
It's a brand new fob. And the old one I had did the same thing. I changed the battery in it but nothing changed. And as far as reprogrammed, why would it need to be reprogrammed if its brand new and the old one was going the same thing?

Old 05-17-2019, 02:53 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

This may sound like an obvious question, but I'll ask anyway. Was the brand new fob programmed to the truck?

Also, do you have access to a professional scan tool to scan the Wireless module for codes and to determine if it is recognizing the new fob signals?

-Rod

Old 05-17-2019, 03:06 PM
David Aldridge

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
This may sound like an obvious question, but I'll ask anyway. Was the brand new fob programmed to the truck?

Also, do you have access to a professional scan tool to scan the Wireless module for codes and to determine if it is recognizing the new fob signals?

-Rod
Yeah the new fob has been programmed. I'm currently using it. This situation only happens once in a while.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:28 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What year? My '09 was like that. My 2017 works great. I believe there was a change but don't remember the details. If it's not the fob, then its the RF module.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:36 PM
David Aldridge

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
What year? My '09 was like that. My 2017 works great. I believe there was a change but don't remember the details. If it's not the fob, then its the RF module.
It's a 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie

Quick Reply: New Key Fob. Wont unlock doors or Start Truck