Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

iPod Interface Cable Install for RER /Short Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:58 PM
drober30
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Interface Cable Install for RER /Short Review

I installed part#82211853 which is the interface cable for the RER radio and Apple iPod.

Overall it was very easy and worth it. The part was about $90 without any discounts. I bought it from a dealer that had it in stock.

Drilled 1 1/8 hole per instructions. I decided to put the iPod in the upper glove box so I did not have to worry about it being seen every time I jumped out of the truck. It also provides easy access from the drivers seat.

As always when drilling through something, know what's behind it. Be careful of the yellow wire for the glove box light. I held it out of the way when drilling.

Picture of cable with the supplied grommet.

Left just enough slack so I could pull out cable and attach iPod from drivers seat.

iPod attached to cable

Pretty neat how the Dodge logo shows on the iPod.

Here is a shot of the main category screen. As you can see you get all the options/choices!

Look at the A-Z button on the left of the screen. This is your search option. When you press this button you are taken to a keyboard to type out your search. It searches songs when you are in the song category and artist when you are in the artist category and so on. You chose what category you want from the main category screen(pictured above).

You get all the meta tag info included with the song. There is a pause button to mute the music. The iPod sounds great just like the HDD. It is a much louder/clearer source than SAT radio or AM/FM.

Over all I think that it was an easy install and worth the money. I like managing my music on my computer, creating playlist and tagging music. I like the option that my music is backed up by using the iPod verse loading it onto the MYGIG HDD. I also like having all my music that I would listen to in my truck on my iPod that I can take with me and use in a variety of ways, friends car, gym, yard work and plugging it into a docking stereo system in my office.

Hope this gives you some insight on the interface and usability of the iPod interface cable for the RER radio.

Last edited by drober30; 05-17-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Good description. Pics are helpful.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Bboyg
Amateur

I installed the cable on my RER as well. I really love the way I can control the iPod through the stereo and steering wheel controls. I have noticed one problem that may be related to my iPod. It seems that the battery on the iPod depletes itself while the truck is off. When this happens and I start the truck, I get a message that the radio is setting up communication witht the iPod. The iPod doesn't work until I unplug it and plug it back in. What has me curious is that the iPod battery lasts just fine if the iPod is off out of the truck. I can leave it sit for days and it turns on just fine. When connected to the truck and the truck is off, it depletes itself rather quickly. It charges fine while the truck is running. Almost seems like the radio is draining power from the iPod while the truck is off.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:21 AM
drober30
Veteran

I noticed that my iPod is charging when the truck is on and it is not charging when the truck is off.

I left my iPod in the truck overnight and this morning I started the truck and the iPod worked just fine. I did not look at the iPod to see if the battery was draining. The iPod is new.

I have had the communication message a few times. It reads "setting up communication" or something of the sort. I too, unplug the ipod or press harder on the cable and the message goes away and the iPod works. Once the cable is on and working, it keeps working just fine.

One thing I will say that I did not mention in my write up is that I am very impressed with the speed at which the iPod operates. The radio controlls the iPod in "real time". I mention this because some after market radios that control iPods do not work so well. The interface is very slow when searching or requesting songs be played.

I have a 4th Gen iPod nano. Just bought it. Some iPods may operate differently with the system.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 AM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks drober, now if they can figure out which cord to use on the REN w/o nav i'll be in business.
as far as the ipod battery draining, it is probably staying on after the truck is turned off. i had this same problem w/ my old tahoe. my 3rd gen ipod video would stay on after i turned the truck off but my wife's 1st gen mini would turn itself off when the ignition was turned off...
short story, there may be nothing to help that out other than manually turning it off when you exit the vehicle.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Bboyg
Amateur

Originally Posted by jawsdc
thanks drober, now if they can figure out which cord to use on the REN w/o nav i'll be in business.
as far as the ipod battery draining, it is probably staying on after the truck is turned off. i had this same problem w/ my old tahoe. my 3rd gen ipod video would stay on after i turned the truck off but my wife's 1st gen mini would turn itself off when the ignition was turned off...
short story, there may be nothing to help that out other than manually turning it off when you exit the vehicle.
Yup, mines an iPod video so that's probably what is going on. I just remounted the iPod to a cradle that I installed in the console with the ipod cable connected to the cradle. Works great and the iPod is now right in the console for me to unplug/replug if I have to.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:42 PM
jsmit450
Rookie

So if you have movies on your Ipod will they play through the radio while your driving?

Old 05-18-2009, 04:45 PM
jawsdc
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsmit450
So if you have movies on your Ipod will they play through the radio while your driving?
no video inputs on the ipod connector, just sound.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:57 PM
drober30
Veteran

There is an option for music video on the radio but I don't have any loaded. I will have to load one and try it out.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM
jsmit450
Rookie

Keep me posted I would like to know if it works

Quick Reply: iPod Interface Cable Install for RER /Short Review