4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RES and uConnect for iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:09 AM
KromeHawk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RES and uConnect for iPod?

Just bought a 2010 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 with the Hemi in SLT trim. I've had the truck for about a week, and so far I love it. It replaced a 4x2 2003 Dakota.

I've been crawling around on the forums here for a few days and have found a lot of info regarding the other radios (REN, RER...) and uConnect modules and iPod cables and so on. Info about the RES is a little harder to come by.

While I certainly don't mind hooking my iPod to the AUX port via a headphone cable (which I wasn't even able to do in my last vehicle), I am curious as to what I need to do to in order to get my iPod to interface directly with the radio (or even if that's possible with the RES).

I think, from reading about the other radios, I need to get a uConnect module as that's what the iPod cable connects to.

So basically the question is this: can I slap a uConnect module onto the RES radio, put an iPod cable on that, and route the cable into the glove box so that the radio controls the iPod? Or is this a fool's errand? Can the RES radio even display info from the iPod in any kind of readable form?

As far as the uConnect a cell phone, I really have no desire to pair a phone with my truck (and deal with adding a new rear-view and the other associated installation hassles). Just looking to interface the iPod.

If this is possible, what would I be looking at spending for the whole deal?

Thanks in advance for any feed-back!

--KromeHawk

Old 11-08-2010, 12:53 AM
guinnessboy
Amateur

i would love to know the same thing...i believe i have the RES ( single disc radio with satellite and the uconnect buttons on the top) i dont have uconnect but am having the dealer install next week. i want to hook up the ipod as well and am hoping this will take care of it, salesman and part person did not know the answer for sure while purchasing the truck. Any replies would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-08-2010, 12:59 AM
chadlanthier

Hey just dealt with this issue i had the 09 ram, and although my vehicle had the uconnect, i could not control the ipod , had to change out the module. The module i got from dealer which can be purchased much cheaper on internet comes with cable. Only need radio that comes with uconnect button on it . Ill get number tommorow

Old 11-08-2010, 03:03 PM
GapRunr
Rookie

Originally Posted by KromeHawk
If this is possible, what would I be looking at spending for the whole deal?

Thanks in advance for any feed-back!

--KromeHawk
Very possible. I had the RES radio with the uConnect button and Sirius. I purchased the hands free bluetooth kit, part number 82211878 and the iPod cable 82211263. This gave me control over the iPod from the OEM radio. I can search by artist, playlist, song name, etc. It also came with a microphone that allows you to use your bluetooth compatible phone handsfree in the car through the stock speakers. Your phone can be sitting in your pocket, in the back seat, or as I found out in my jacket in my friends car behind me at the light. It cost me less than $300 delivered and took about 2 hours for me to install it. The longest part was running the microphone wire from the front right footwell where the interface mounts to the left door pillar. I did have to pay the dealer for a half hour labor to program the computer to recognize the presence of the uConnect Interface. I had them do that, the cruise and the fog lights in one shot.

If you haven't got the parts yet, I got mine at Steve White Motors. They are usually the cheapest place to order online parts and accessories.

http://www.stevewhiteparts.com

I bought my truck from them from out of state and they delivered it to me. It was one of the easiest vehicle purchases I have ever done. I hate car dealers, but these guys were great to deal with.

Last edited by GapRunr; 11-08-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:32 PM
H3RAM

Global Dodge is another place where I found the Uconnect kit pretty cheap, $225. The Ipod interface is another $41. If you have an Iphone 3G or 3GS you need to purchase the interface #82212000, which is the same $41. The website address is: http://performancedodge.stores.yahoo.net/

It seems like I've also seen the Uconnect for closer to $200 somewhere but I can't remember where. I intend to google the part number before I order this, which I definitely want to do. I'm just trying to get my dealer to give me a really good deal on it since they told me it was included on the truck when I bought it...the salesman thought it was in the BigHorn package. I don't have that in writing and it's not on the sticker so I don't have a lot of leverage other than 'he told me it was included'.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 PM
guinnessboy
Amateur

then i probably got ripped, they are charging 400 installed but it is too late, already factored into the loan. really got it for the phone feature, cool that another cable will control ipod as well.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:46 PM
H3RAM

My dealer quoted me $425 installed and told me what a great deal that was because of what the saleman had told me about it already being on the truck. When I told them what I could buy the kit for they were going to go back to the drawing table and see what they could come up with. That was a week ago and I haven't heard back from them. I probably need to call and goose them a little.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:08 PM
72combo
Champion

They charge various prices to starscan the uconnect in after it is installed anyway which would be an hour usually, So hour to install plus starscan 200 bucks plus price of parts 400 is about par.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 PM
SteveO44
Amateur

Originally Posted by GapRunr
Very possible. I had the RES radio with the uConnect button and Sirius. I purchased the hands free bluetooth kit, part number 82211878 and the iPod cable 82211263. This gave me control over the iPod from the OEM radio. I can search by artist, playlist, song name, etc. It also came with a microphone that allows you to use your bluetooth compatible phone handsfree in the car through the stock speakers. Your phone can be sitting in your pocket, in the back seat, or as I found out in my jacket in my friends car behind me at the light. It cost me less than $300 delivered and took about 2 hours for me to install it. The longest part was running the microphone wire from the front right footwell where the interface mounts to the left door pillar. I did have to pay the dealer for a half hour labor to program the computer to recognize the presence of the uConnect Interface. I had them do that, the cruise and the fog lights in one shot.

If you haven't got the parts yet, I got mine at Steve White Motors. They are usually the cheapest place to order online parts and accessories.

http://www.stevewhiteparts.com

I bought my truck from them from out of state and they delivered it to me. It was one of the easiest vehicle purchases I have ever done. I hate car dealers, but these guys were great to deal with.

Their website is all kinds of screwed up.

I was browsing some of the DVD entertainment kits. MSRP: $1100. My price: $2200.

Looks like their pricing is all out of whack.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:42 PM
GapRunr
Rookie

Originally Posted by SteveO44
Their website is all kinds of screwed up.

I was browsing some of the DVD entertainment kits. MSRP: $1100. My price: $2200.

Looks like their pricing is all out of whack.
I just checked as well and it really is out of whack. It was fine yesterday.

Hopefully they are working on it.

Quick Reply: RES and uConnect for iPod?