Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 AM
alexRAM1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back up camera

Hey guys looking into getting a back up camera installed into my indash monitor... i was wondering which one u guys recomend and also if any one has installed this, how did u run the cables from the back to the front into the dash? any help or opinions are well appriciated.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:01 PM
rtkota5point9
All Star
Default RE: Back up camera

What year ram. When I do the newer style, I run the cable from the rear, to just under the cab corner, in the cross member of the frame, there is a small hole, fish the wire through that hole and make it do a 90* turn towards the outside of the truck. When it gets to the end of the crossmember it will poke out inside the cab at the bottom of the cab corner. Inside the truck you can get to that spot by taking out the panel over the cab corner, then removing the seatbelt mechanism, reach down into the cab corner and you'll feel a foam covered piece of plastic. Pry that out and the hole the wire will poke through will be at the very bottom. It's kind of a pain, but it's nice and clean and no drilling involved.

Fishing it through the frame is the hardest part, but between both sidesI managed to fish a total of about 8 sets of 12Gspeaker wire, 3 sets of tripple shielded rcas, remote wire, and the back-up cam cord. It definatly wasn't fun and it was a tight fit, but I managed, so that single cable shouldn't be too bad.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:33 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker
Default RE: Back up camera

ORIGINAL: rtkota5point9
I managed to fish a total of about 8 sets of 12Gspeaker wire, 3 sets of tripple shielded rcas, remote wire, and the back-up cam cord.
hahahaha....sounds like a real blast!

Old 07-16-2018, 08:38 PM
Prairie Dog 51
Amateur

If you have a smart phone or tablet, you might want to consider a NONDA ZUS cam. It is wireless and the camera mounts to the license plate. It has a simple to use app for both Android and IOS. It is rechargeable and holds a charge for about 2-3 months depending on how much you use it. It is a snap to install and comes with safety screws.
With a little online searching, you can find one for around $100 or less.

Quick Reply: Back up camera