DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-16/)
-   -   Blown Fuse? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics/185605-blown-fuse.html)

Hoss98 01-10-2009 03:32 PM

Blown Fuse?

I recently had a new Sony head unit installed in my 98 ram 1500 at best buy. Later I was installing 2 Rockford sub woofers and an Rockford amp. Some where in hooking up the RCA's and the amp remote wire to the back of the head unit I blew a fuse or something. Now my radio, interior lights and dome light are all not working. I have checked the fuses in the dash as well as the ones under the hood and all are still good. Could any one tell me if there is some inline fuse I am missing or something else it could have blown? I don't have a wiring diagram for the truck and best buy kept the one for the head unit.

Hoss98 04-01-2009 06:18 PM

Never mind fixed it the I.O.D. fuse was blown

audioaddict 04-04-2009 12:26 AM

Just so you know, by adding to the head unit, you voided your lifetime warranty.

Bizzarre 04-04-2009 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by audioaddict (Post 1618398)
Just so you know, by adding to the head unit, you voided your lifetime warranty.

Why would this void a warranty?

Hoss98 04-04-2009 02:14 AM

Supposedly if you ad to it yourself you only void bestbuy's warranty which is useless since you have a manufacturer warranty. Thats why bestbuy dosnt give you back radio keys or wiring diagrams. But the head unit was only like $100 so its not a huge deal.

audioaddict 04-04-2009 08:02 AM

It's not the product warranty that you void, it's your lifetime workmanship warranty. I'm the shop supervisor at a Best Buy here in central Ohio, so I have to know the warranty backwards and forwards. Your head unit has the 1yr manufacturer warranty and a 30 day return policy (so if you have problems with it during that period, you should be able to have it swapped regardless of your workmanship warranty). If you bought the 4yr black tie protection, you're covered for those 4 years regardless of what vehicle the head unit is in, you can swap it to 15 different cars over the course of the warranty and it's still good. But by modifying the installation, you voided your lifetime workmanship warranty, which is a bit of a big deal, because it's a nation-wide lifetime warranty, and you get free factory re-installation if you decide to sell the truck and want to keep your radio.....if you still had a warranty. Now though, if you were to take it back to any store, they'd take a sharpie and write VOID all over your receipt.

denice25 04-04-2009 08:17 AM

well its good for you!!!

Hoss98 04-07-2009 01:00 PM

yeh it dosnt matter cause the guy at the best buy in my town messed it up big time so I had to redo alot of what he did. I wont take it back to that best buy again. My dash was cracked so I had to sign their form and he left several peices and covers out of my dash when he put it back together and they would do nothing about it becaause he said it was already that way. I could probably reinstall the factory radio if I need to but I probably wont ever do it.

Hoss98 04-07-2009 01:01 PM

They did give me a good price on the install but the guy who did it screwed it up.

audioaddict 04-07-2009 06:41 PM

dang man, if that's the case I'd call best buy's customer service hotline, cuz that's completely unacceptable. It's a cake walk of an install and there's no reason parts should be missing at all. Sorry to hear that dude. As far as the troubleshooting goes, get yourself a good digital multimeter, set it to test continuity and go through and check all your fuses. Check both boxes, the one under the hood and the one under the dash.