Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

[Project] TruckPC in 2003 Dodge RAM running Centrafuse

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 PM
joshkeely
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, all switches/buttons, etc. are in, measurements verified, final design going to be cut out tomorrow! Remember that this first run is going to be out of clear acrylic, so it won't look as cool as the black, but I want to do a test fit of everything before I cut into the black stuff...will report with pics as soon as it's cut!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:29 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joshkeely
Okay, all switches/buttons, etc. are in, measurements verified, final design going to be cut out tomorrow! Remember that this first run is going to be out of clear acrylic, so it won't look as cool as the black, but I want to do a test fit of everything before I cut into the black stuff...will report with pics as soon as it's cut!
what kind of pc are you running centrefuse off of?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:34 PM
joshkeely
Default Centrafuse PC...

I'm running it off an old EEEPC 701...mobo is very small, has SSD hard drive (no mechanical parts, so no risk of crash), on board video supports many different resolutions, and works great w/ the Eonon. I had this in a drawer from a couple years ago and I will be "de-caseing" it and mounting the motherbooard onto the back of the monitor on stand-offs...you can find these laptops on ebay for under $100 regularly. The centrafuse app is quick and peppy on this machine, so it is going to be great.

Josh

Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker

I'm running it off an old EEEPC 701...mobo is very small, has SSD hard drive (no mechanical parts, so no risk of crash), on board video supports many different resolutions, and works great w/ the Eonon. I had this in a drawer from a couple years ago and I will be "de-caseing" it and mounting the motherbooard onto the back of the monitor on stand-offs...you can find these laptops on ebay for under $100 regularly. The centrafuse app is quick and peppy on this machine, so it is going to be great.

Josh
does it have a cd rom drive to load the os on it?
what about the wiring of the touch screen? i want to do a similar thing except mount it to the roof and have it flip down.

where are you planing on putting your dvd drive?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:06 AM
joshkeely

It does not have a CD/DVD rom...i loaded it with WinXP via a usb thumb drive (it is difficult, but possible) and it works great!

The touch screen is a complete kit which connects in via USB. I will have a mini-hub behind the plate which connects the OBD II, the Bluetooth, the control for the HD Radio, the extended Hi-Gain WIFI, and the two USB ports on the front.

I made the decision to NOT put a DVD drive in the truck. I have decided in it's place to put a DVD Player (which also plays CD's, etc.) and wire it to one of the monitor inputs. This way I get clean, crisp DVD viewing with no possibility of skipping due to lack of resources, etc. And as far as input to the computer, I have two USB ports exposed on the face of this, so if I needed to load something, I could easily do it there.

Josh

Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 AM
joshkeely

The 3D extruded screenshots. Should be cut out today or tomorrow.

and

Old 01-05-2010, 05:13 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker

sweet. how big of a thumb drive did you use? and if you could,can you pm me how to load it via a thumb drive? i have xp pro and i figured im gonna do the same thing as you as far as the dvd player into the monitor, and im gonna use the other input for the back up camera.

using that monitor if you werent recessing it in the dash would the touch panel fit on it correctly?

im planing on mounting it to my roof, and making it a flip down thing.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:18 PM
joshkeely

I used a 2GB thumb drive, and followed directions from Method 1 of:
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windowsxpusb

Worked like a chump!

As far as the monitor and touch panel goes...yes, the touch panel WILL go on the monitor, but this particular monitor does not have a bezel--it is edge-to-edge glass, so there is nothing to "hide" the touch overlay underneath. Typically, there is a plastic bezel on a monitor, just not on this one. That is why I am recessing it--to create my own bezel of sorts.

Good Luck!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker

I used a 2GB thumb drive, and followed directions from Method 1 of:
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/windowsxpusb

Worked like a chump!

As far as the monitor and touch panel goes...yes, the touch panel WILL go on the monitor, but this particular monitor does not have a bezel--it is edge-to-edge glass, so there is nothing to "hide" the touch overlay underneath. Typically, there is a plastic bezel on a monitor, just not on this one. That is why I am recessing it--to create my own bezel of sorts.

Good Luck!

oh alright,i got an 8 gig for xmas, and i wasnt sure if it was big enough. i might just have to do that then, and as far as the edge to edge its no big deal for me as itll be a flip down panel anyways. is there an adjustment to rotate the picture on the monitor?

what im thinging about doing is taking the stand it comes with and modifying it to rotate left and right as well as flip up and down, then bolting that to my roof and mounting the monitor on it.

or can you mount the stand on the monitor upside down?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 PM
joshkeely

The monitor allows for image rotate..so you could rotate it 180 and mount it on the roof..

Quick Reply: [Project] TruckPC in 2003 Dodge RAM running Centrafuse