Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

My top-of-the-line system

Old 05-13-2005, 11:35 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My top-of-the-line system

ORIGINAL: loocsissor

Yeah, I know the amps a little rough, but I'm working on that. I'm running the wires straight down through the back seat and coming out the bottom, as if to make the amp look wireless. I don't have enough $$$ for custom enclosures or mounts, but it'll impress nonetheless.
Pretty good idea about the wireless. What I have done in the past is find a cabinet maker. Show him what you would be after. This way you can have an enclosure that would fit flush against the sides of the wheelwells. The one box that he made for was 1/3 of the price that 4 stereo shops wanted. The current install I took around getting insureance quotes for what an install like that would cost and the cheapest was $500 for the enclosure and amp cover.

Heck even on a cheaper budget you can get some L-brackets and put some "wings" on the sides to fill in the gaps. Then take some carpet and go over the front. This will make the install look like a custom enclosure. Hell I did my install for all supplies (3/4 MDF, carpet and plexiglass) for under $80, the plexiglass was $30 alone. I even did it in my apt with just a jigsaw.

As for the amp you can make a false back behind the seat and mount the amp on it. You could even make somthing that looks like a thin enclosure with a plexiglass top and light it, this way everything is hidden. Any cabinet maker maker should be able to make the enclosure for under $40 easy, to save money the pleaxiglass panel could be just big enough to see the amp.

I just did a friends neon and did the false front (speakers side) using diamondplate. I didn't care for it much, but he was the customer. As in this case all that matters is: Are you happpy with it?

Old 05-14-2005, 05:14 AM
loocsissor

Thanks for the suggestions, I've never thought about a cabinet maker doing work like that, i'll definately have to look into it. I've got a different plan for the amp. I'm going to mount it up under the rear deck, but have it on wheels. I can pull it out and lean it down in front of the subs, make it "float." It would really show off the great looks of the digital amp! I've got the hardware and measurements, I do the work tomorrow. I'll put pictures up if it works!

Old 05-14-2005, 05:53 AM
ngsm13

Come on over to www.caraudio.com and you'll see what's happenin....

The only score that means ANYTHING is the TermLAb sensor. Check out www.termpro.com -> dBDrag Racing -> Termlab

It's the standard for decibel measurement, the most accurate measurement in the world. It is a sensor, not a microphone

I really don't pay attention to a "score" unless it's on the TL sensor...and I'll tell you right now...yours is DEFINITELY on an old AC Mic...like an epic 160 or epic 170....ask your shop...they'll tell you it's prolly that

I'm not trashing you at all, it's a pretty good system....quality for a budget system. If you ever need any custom enclosure designs, ported...sealed...fiberglass...etc, hit me up man. peace

NG

Old 05-24-2005, 02:47 AM
slakr
Rookie

wow im impressed ngsm13, u really know what ur talking about and i couldnt agree with you any more on everything u said but still go easy on the guy hes obviousely like me......broke lol. but look loocsissor b4 u go and call ur system top of the line just take this as some professional word of advice, ive installed systems that costed thousands and those were impressive at best but if you really want top of the line, expect to spend a LARGE wad of $$$$$ that system of urs is a good start but dont take it personally when i tell you its only a couple steps above a walmart system.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:59 AM
loocsissor

Excuse me for having pride in my system. For a full-time college student, working part-time, paying rent, and having EVERYTHING paid in full by my own hard work and dedication, it's top of the line my friend. You may see "top-of-the-line" as simple dollar signs, but there is more to it that how much cash you can drop on your car (or how low you can get the monthly payments on your credit card)

Old 05-24-2005, 03:10 AM
slakr
Rookie

woah buddy settle down, i 2 am a full time college student bro and im not sayin ur system is a pile of crap im just sayin dollar signs or no that it costs a lot of money to reach that top of the line status. go to a car show and look at the real top of the line equipment that they are running and just ask one of the guys there to ballpark his system for u. im not cuttin u down or ur system because to be honest with u i just about bankrupted myself to buy two audiobahn aw1206t's and matching amps and right now my trunk looks like crap but u dont see me calling my system top of the line and gettin pissed when people give their honest opinions of what they see. so sorry dude but im just givin ur system (not u) some constructive criticism

Old 05-24-2005, 04:00 PM
ngsm13

Yup, I'm a full-time college student as well. I also work part time. I've also bought every single piece of audio equipment I've ever owned, starting when I was 15. Like I said before, caraudio is my life. I'm Majoring in Electrical Engineering with a double Minor in Mathematics and Physics. I'm addicted, period.

If you want to here the EPITOME of Sound Quality and Output, you can sit in my truck anytime you like. It's sonic excellence, and I've spent my own money, my own time, and HOURS upon HOURS of hard work fabricating, designing, and re-designing my audio system.

So, as stated...it's a good system for what it is...nothing more...and CERTAINLY NOT top-of-the-line.

NG

Old 05-25-2005, 01:54 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not even close to top of the line.... lol

Old 05-26-2005, 04:17 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ngsm13...you talk a big game. Let's see your setup. I couldnt care less about audio nonsense, and while i have a system, it was free fro a friend of mine who upgraded. It hits hard, but I couldnt tell you one aspect of my system. It came out of a sunfire, and with the other 2 subs and other amp, it hit to something like 138dB. I run mine by means of the stock head unit because I wouldnt waste the money to shake the windows of the guy next to me when my stock HU will out hit a great many of the thrown together systems that I have seen, but like i said, I have an MTX amp, and 2 12s. Other than that, i coudlnt tell you much about it, but based on your opinion of everyone elses system, im sure you would say it is junk, simply because you dont use that brand. ANYWAY...im sure that someone here appreciates your "expertise" on car audio, but if youre going to be constantly critical of everyone else's equipment, figure out a way to do so without being intentionally insulting, and enough with the pointless profanity. If you have info to share, that is great, and im sure that whoever cares about this values your opinion, but i see you doing little more than arguing or mocking other people because they dont use the same brands as you. find a way to be constructive, or take it elsewhere.

Old 05-27-2005, 07:06 AM
ngsm13

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

ngsm13...you talk a big game. Let's see your setup. I couldnt care less about audio nonsense, and while i have a system, it was free fro a friend of mine who upgraded. It hits hard, but I couldnt tell you one aspect of my system. It came out of a sunfire, and with the other 2 subs and other amp, it hit to something like 138dB. I run mine by means of the stock head unit because I wouldnt waste the money to shake the windows of the guy next to me when my stock HU will out hit a great many of the thrown together systems that I have seen, but like i said, I have an MTX amp, and 2 12s. Other than that, i coudlnt tell you much about it, but based on your opinion of everyone elses system, im sure you would say it is junk, simply because you dont use that brand. ANYWAY...im sure that someone here appreciates your "expertise" on car audio, but if youre going to be constantly critical of everyone else's equipment, figure out a way to do so without being intentionally insulting, and enough with the pointless profanity. If you have info to share, that is great, and im sure that whoever cares about this values your opinion, but i see you doing little more than arguing or mocking other people because they dont use the same brands as you. find a way to be constructive, or take it elsewhere.
My original post...
ORIGINAL: ngsm13

Wouldn't call it top-of-the-line by any means, but solid nonetheless!

nG
ALL of my other posts in this thread have been civil except for ONE. When he claimed a 150.7 from the setup...it may be hard for you to quantify, because like you said...you don't care that much about caraudio. But basically, It's like me saying, "My Stock 1992 Dodge Dakota just ran a 10.17sec quarter mile!"

Every other post was civil, and read my original post again...nothing wrong. Then he bombarded me with "why?", and I politely explained.

If you really care, check me out of www.caraudio.com ->forums
Username is the same there. I'll take some time tomorrow or next time I stop by to post pictures, I post them here on a regular basis, but they never get much traffic in this forum. Search for threads I've created in the Audio Section...you'll find pics. Also, the coding here is weird, I tried [IMG]url[/IMG] and for some reason it didn't work correctly for me.

As for brands, I don't insult stuff I don't use, I may state my opinion on brands I HAVE EXPERIENCE and USED myself. I currently am running a Modified MTX 1501d amplifier (I'm an Electrical Engineer, modified the circuit board...more power ). I've also ran PLENTY of Alpine HU's. Subwoofers, I'll NEVER touch basically anything mentioned here...b/c I can get equal OR BETTER perfomance fro the same price OR BETTER from newer brands.

As far as my setup:
-Clarion vrx945vd 7" In-dash DVD/MP3/CD
CUSTOM Active Component set: (In custom fiberglass, sealed door pods...by me )
-RE Audio XXX 6.5's
-Vifa 1" Neodymium Silk Tweeters
-AudioControl DXS 3way Digital Crossover
-Kicker KX600.4 (170x2 for mids, 50 x 2 for tweets)
-RE Audio 18 XXX (www.reaudio.com)
-Modded MTX 1501d @1ohm (2000rms)
Those are the products currently...

Along with:
-Custom Ported 18XXX box: 7.5 cubes NET@32hz with 120 in^2 of port
-Custom Fiberglassed sealed door pods for components
-120 ft^2 of SecondSkin Damplifier
-1 Gallon SecondSkin Spectrum
-200 Amp HO Alternator
-COMPLETE 1/0 Re-wire
-Optima D34 Yellow Top under the hood
-Optima Group 31 Yellow Top in rear
-NXG Sapphire Pro Series Interconnects

Soon to replace yellow tops with Kinetik Power HC2400 power cell.

NG

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My top-of-the-line system